Question Micro stutters in all games - AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 28, 2022
Hello all. I need help. I don't understand how I'm having this problem all of a sudden, it's preventing me from having a normal time playing PC games. At first I thought it was Warzone 2 causing this problem but then I was having the same problem for another game, Unreal Tournament 4. I literally went out of my way to buy a new GPU to see if this would fix anything but I am still having the same problem!!! I did no Windows updates prior to this and no changes if I recall correctly. Everything has been normal till day 3-4 of installing Warzone 2. Then I find other games, not only Call of Duty, creating this skip problem.

There is nothing involved with the internet creating these micro-stutters as I have played a single-player game with bots and I find myself skipping from time to time.

I did notice in the past that I had Docker Desktop running, MongoDB, and Microsoft SQL running in the background, as well as VMMEM.exe on task manager as I went around looking for a solution. None of these are involved with the stuttering as I have taskkill those processes. ESET is not causing the stuttering. Windows telemetry isn't causing stuttering. I already used DDU to do a clean install of my GPU and have no luck.

Any suggestion would help. As far as a developer option as well to troubleshoot this problem. It came out of no where and can't figure why.

Things that I've tried
  • DDU, made stutters worse
  • buying new GPU
  • restarting router and modem
  • DISM and SFC checks
  • no other system restore point exists
  • windows update
  • page file sys manage by main hard drive and SDD hard drive
  • ended processes vmmem.exe, docker desktop, mongodb, and microsoft sql (still even with this on there, I didn't have those problems before)
  • disabled fTPM and then disabled security (neither option made a difference, apparently it is common in AMD microstutters as researched)
Specs
  • Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX Power Supply
  • EVGA 600 BR 100-BR-0600-K1 600 W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC PFC SLI CrossFire Power Supply
  • XFX AMD Radeon RX 6600 (had the RX 570)
  • Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
  • Silicon Power DDR4 RAM 16GB (8GBx2) Turbine 3200MHz (PC4 25600) 288-pin CL16 1.35V UDIMM Desktop Memory Module (SP016GXLZU320BDA)
  • Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 32GB(2 x 16GB) 4000MHz Kit
  • LEVEN JS600 SSD 1TB 3D NAND SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - 6 Gb/s, 2.5 inch /7mm (0.28") - up to 560MB/s - Retail 1 Pack (Packaging May Vary)
  • WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B
  • MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II)

Last edited:
JrQQWse.png

LhuUfSg.png
both pictures shows that is way too high, unfortunately it doesnt tell which driver is causing it

can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

Dec 28, 2022
both pictures shows that is way too high, unfortunately it doesnt tell which driver is causing it

can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here
WIWTcAi.png

should be able to stop by a shop for a usb stick to try updating the bios in a few

Dec 28, 2022
I didn't get any microstutters this time! I updated the bios, removed synology driver and everything seems normal now. This came up though while I was playing. Just viewed this from my other monitor.
l8lZhmG.png

Edit: Spoke too soon! Still have stutters but not as bad. I'll drop a vid to show what I mean.

Last edited:
I didn't get any microstutters this time! I updated the bios, removed synology driver and everything seems normal now. This came up though while I was playing. Just viewed this from my other monitor.
l8lZhmG.png

Edit: Spoke too soon! Still have stutters but not as bad. I'll drop a vid to show what I mean.
next suspect would be ene.sys driver it got no name, no descryption and no date, it should be launched from windows services, service name should be EneIo service, its used for rgb control, if you have no rgb, then it could be malware

another suspect is npcap, this one is used for network monitoring but in a sense of capturing network traffic (packets) and injecting network with hand made packets, pretty common tool in hacking... if you dont know what that is, then you may have virus

Dec 28, 2022
next suspect would be ene.sys driver it got no name, no descryption and no date, it should be launched from windows services, service name should be EneIo service, its used for rgb control, if you have no rgb, then it could be malware

another suspect is npcap, this one is used for network monitoring but in a sense of capturing network traffic (packets) and injecting network with hand made packets, pretty common tool in hacking... if you dont know what that is, then you may have virus
npcap comes from Wireshark. I don't use this often and I did use it for a school project awhile back. I'm not too deep into ethical hacking but more infrastructure work (devops) for practice. I have ESET as my antivirus though, haven't filtered anything out or have needed to torrent anything that requires a workaround. I can look at ene.sys. B450 Tomhawk Max II, the motherboard I have, does support rgb which is from Mystic Light SDK. I did update the bios to 1.0.0.6. Reinstalling/refreshing Windows may be my last option.

Will post video shortly

Dec 28, 2022
https://youtube.com/shorts/gBBqOj1JPXQ?feature=share - Warzone 2 Parachute and ingame lag. Stutters continue while on the ground bouncing around

https://youtube.com/shorts/TGhPlONZi4w?feature=share - Unreal Tournament 4 Single Player with bots, uncomfortable game play, small but noticable stutter while moving around. It was terrible at the very start as if my PC didn't know how to handle it

I reset my PC while keeping my files and all apps were uninstalled. Stutters continue.. I don't have ene.sys either, I turned off Game Mode as this is default on Windows fresh start. This is what I have at this moment

ksf3jLO.png

I do have a new CPU on the way. Thought it was an interesting purchase half off during the holidays. Not sure about other options. Why shouldn't I get agesa 1.0.0.7?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022
I have the new CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X ), however I have sometimes microstutters and other times nothing. But the period of time where nothing happens is for a few hours. I've been getting Bad Pool Header dumpfiles being created from WinDbg lately. This is for either FPS game I play. Where the PC would reboot and then start back up without bsod. I have ran MemTest86x and passed 3 tests. I haven't done anything for my hard drives as of yet. Are there any other steps I can take?

I have reset the PC many times via Windows 10 now going into 11. Have not done anything about a full reset, i.e. deleting every file.
oz4bbvY.png

Last edited: