Question Micro stutters & lag spikes, avg 65-70% cpu usage, it goes all the way up to 95-100% ?

Jan 20, 2021
CPU/GPU
Ryzen 5600X
RTX 3080

I have very high cpu usage when I have high frames in doom eternal but when I lower them my input lag decreases
and since this is an fps and very fast paced game I WANNA play with at least 250 frames but when I do play with 200 + fps
my game lags and microstutters appear.
Do you think my 3080 is too much for the 6 core 12 threaded 5600x ?
my gpu is at 98-99% and my cpu is at like 70-80% and that causes the stutters I think, would u say it is bottleneck?
I have updated everything to the latest available versions - bios, windows, gpu, cpu, motherboard drivers, everything.
My ram is running at xmp profile 3600mhz no issues 2x8gb
My bios is also updated
My cpu is running with turbo frequency ON and it often goes at 4.6 ghz in-game, temps are okay - nnot more than 70-74 degrees celcius
(for cpu like mine it's default to reach even 80-85 +)
gpu is okay too, 65-70 degrees

but the lag stutters appear :D

Maybe it is just the game but I think that I need a cpu with more cores and threads for this particular game.

screens of cpu usage - View: https://imgur.com/a/jm2boX5

CPU/GPU
Ryzen 5600X
RTX 3080

I have very high cpu usage when I have high frames in doom eternal but when I lower them my input lag decreases
and since this is an fps and very fast paced game I WANNA play with at least 250 frames but when I do play with 200 + fps
my game lags and microstutters appear.
Do you think my 3080 is too much for the 6 core 12 threaded 5600x ?
my gpu is at 98-99% and my cpu is at like 70-80% and that causes the stutters I think, would u say it is bottleneck?
I have updated everything to the latest available versions - bios, windows, gpu, cpu, motherboard drivers, everything.
My ram is running at xmp profile 3600mhz no issues 2x8gb
My bios is also updated
My cpu is running with turbo frequency ON and it often goes at 4.6 ghz in-game, temps are okay - nnot more than 70-74 degrees celcius
(for cpu like mine it's default to reach even 80-85 +)
gpu is okay too, 65-70 degrees

but the lag stutters appear :D

Maybe it is just the game but I think that I need a cpu with more cores and threads for this particular game.

screens of cpu usage - View: https://imgur.com/a/jm2boX5
With your GPU maxed out at 98-99% utilization...why would you think your CPU's isn't enough?

More cores/threads aren't likely to help since games usually have one or two threads that all the others depend on and wait for. That's why Ryzen's IPC jump with Zen 3 was so important: they already had the core/thread battle won solid with 3950X's.

One thing to try is lowering some of the quality settings, maybe run with lower or no AA or, especially, resolution. If your average FPS jumps up then you know it's your GPU since it's being asked to do less for each frame rendered.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
With your GPU maxed out at 98-99% utilization...why would you think your CPU's isn't enough?

More cores/threads aren't likely to help since games usually have one or two threads that all the others depend on and wait for. That's why Ryzen's IPC jump with Zen 3 was so important: they already had the core/thread battle won solid with 3950X's.

One thing to try is lowering some of the quality settings, maybe run with lower or no AA or, especially, resolution. If your average FPS jumps up then you know it's your GPU since it's being asked to do less for each frame rendered.
if i lower the res the fps increases with 100-150 (talking about switching from 1440 to 1080p)
my gpu is not always maxed if i cap my fps at 250 it's on 70-80% usage but my cpu is always at 65 % avg and it hits 70-80% pretty often which i think is the reason for the lag spikes.

Is not this very high cpu usage the reason for such micro stutters I mean usually? is this a thing?

ps : i play on low settings or high but when went to 1080p from 1440p from 280-300 fps the fps became 430-450 avg 380-400.

so is there a bottleneck or something idk i dont get it but my CPU USAGE IS REALLY REALLY HIGH I think i need 5900x for real

ps2 : when i alt tab from the game and go back to it after 2 minutes game is smooth af, it's as smooth as i always want it to be but that is only for 10-15 seconds, when the loads come back because during the time i was on the desktop game was paused and no pressure was available idk game is smooth but not as smooth as it should be and i think it's my cpu.

Last edited:
The 5600X is plenty of CPU for any GPU...period.

I'd look at CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, and see what temps/clock speeds are being hit under load, looking for any signs of throttling.

(Assume you have latest mainboard BIOS, latest AGESA AMD drivers, AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan, PBO and XMP profiles chosen)

The stutters are an issue....; cpu usage to GPU usage magic ratios are not.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
yes mr mdd1963,
my bios is updated to its latest version I have written that in the very first post.
I am not using the amd balanced power plan but the windows high performance powerp plan
+ I have also chosen the high performance mode in the nvidia 3d settings in the two options where it is possible.

PBO is on auto, turbo boost is on auto, cpu is not overclocked, just using its turbo frequency but pbo is on auto.

XMP profile - again I have written that in the very first post that it is enabled, when i check the task manager it shows that it's working at 3600 mhz too.

I guess I can try the balanced amd power plan that I have not tried yet.

nvidia released some kinda gpu drivers for the rtx 3xxx series + some notebooks I tried them too
but no luck, maybe it's just the game I mean i dont have a problem in any of the other games that I play only in doom eternal...