Question Micro-Stutters | Need Help Identifying the problem

fantisjjj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
It's been almost two months since those micro-stutters have begun.
Their duration is so low ( I'd say around 0.2 seconds) which makes it hard for me to say if I also have FPS drops.
The only noticeable things are:
  1. the mouse cursor "lagging" for a brief moment.
  2. (I think) the frequency increases when multiple programs/games are running. Again, that
    might not be the case since I can MOSTLY notice the micro-stutter while I am in a game(due to the cursor)
Specs:

MoBo : Asus Rog Strix x470-f | (Updated to latest BIOS a few days ago)
Cpu : Ryzen 7 5700x
Ram : G.Skill TridentZ 16Gb (2x8gb) @ 3200Mhz | F4-3200C16D-16GTZR | CL 16-18-18-38 @1.35v
GPU : RTX 3080 Vision OC 10G (Rev. 1.0) | Updated drivers a few days ago
PSU : Corsair RMi 750 Gold
Main Storage : Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 3.0
2ndary : Patriot Burst SSD 240GB 2.5'' SATA III
3triary : Western Digital WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 - 3TB 5.4K RPM
Windows 10 | Fresh Installation a few days ago
Power Plan : Ultimate Performance

Please bear in mind that I upgraded both CPU and GPU a couple of weeks ago so I kinda ruled them out since the stuttering
started around two months ago. Plus their temperatures are also between acceptable levels.

Things I've tested so far:

• Stressed GPU/CPU
  • Updated every part to it's latest driver
  • Updates BIOS (mainly for Ryzen 5k series support, after the upgrade)
  • Fresh Win10 installation
  • Run a full 13-test-4-passes MemTest86 for RAM modules (0 errors detected)
  • Monitored PSU Wattage through CPUID (the power draw is nowhere near it's efficiency since the games I play are not that demanding and GPU is usually at 20-35 %)
Since I have no idea what is causing it, I am mostly trying to replicate the stutter on demand but nothing of the above helped.
If you have any idea I'd highly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Since you only updated to the latest BIOS version a few days ago, but upgraded the CPU and graphics card a few weeks ago, I'm going to assume you probably didn't reset the BIOS at all AFTER you updated it. If that's true, or even if it isn't, I'd first try doing a hard reset which will mean needing to reconfigure a few BIOS settings afterwards but will likely be worth it.

BEFORE you reset the BIOS though it would probably be a good idea to install Samsung Magician first and check to see if there are firmware updates for your 970 EVO Plus as they've released a couple of them over the course of this year. Checking last night both my 500GB and 1TB 970 Evo Plus drives had firmware updates available for them and it's almost always a good idea to keep all hardware on the lastest firmware if possible. They don't release new firmware for no good reason.

After checking and if necessary, updating that, then try this.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Reactions: shollzz

fantisjjj

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Since you only updated to the latest BIOS version a few days ago, but upgraded the CPU and graphics card a few weeks ago, I'm going to assume you probably didn't reset the BIOS at all AFTER you updated it. If that's true, or even if it isn't, I'd first try doing a hard reset which will mean needing to reconfigure a few BIOS settings afterwards but will likely be worth it.

BEFORE you reset the BIOS though it would probably be a good idea to install Samsung Magician first and check to see if there are firmware updates for your 970 EVO Plus as they've released a couple of them over the course of this year. Checking last night both my 500GB and 1TB 970 Evo Plus drives had firmware updates available for them and it's almost always a good idea to keep all hardware on the lastest firmware if possible. They don't release new firmware for no good reason.

After checking and if necessary, updating that, then try this.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Thank you kindly for your reply.
Even though BIOS settings are set to default, after every update, I did not go through a hard reset.
After work, I will try everything you suggested above and reply with the results.
Thanks again

For sure. Yes, many settings DO revert to the default settings BUT about half the time the system doesn't actually reconfigure itself for hardware changes that already occurred. So always good to try at least. I can't tell you how many times a hard reset has resolved an issue that there's no reason why it should have. Except that, it does. Not always to be sure but since it costs nothing to try it is always worth trying.

Updating the firmware on your drive if there is one is also another "why wouldn't you" type thing.

Reactions: shollzz
Mar 7, 2023
For sure. Yes, many settings DO revert to the default settings BUT about half the time the system doesn't actually reconfigure itself for hardware changes that already occurred. So always good to try at least. I can't tell you how many times a hard reset has resolved an issue that there's no reason why it should have. Except that, it does. Not always to be sure but since it costs nothing to try it is always worth trying.

Updating the firmware on your drive if there is one is also another "why wouldn't you" type thing.

I'm here to say that @Darkbreeze hard reset WORKED for my case!!! Thank you man, you're a legend <3, i've created an account just for that, because i was looking for a solution for at least 5 months.
I've changed my RAM and installed another SSD. The problem was the messed up X.M.P profiles after the RAM frequency changed, the timings were all different.
So thank you again!