Question Micro USB external hard drive adapter

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I took apart a Seagate 2tb ps4 external hard drive. The drive in it has a stuck platter and does not work. Inside of the case there was an adapter that converts the hard drive to micro USB. I took it out to see if i could reuse the adapter for a normal hard drive and when I plug it into my laptop the drive spins and windows makes the sound that a usb device was plugged in but the drive doesnt show up in disk manager or mini tool partition wizard. Is it not enough power for a normal hard drive? The adapter piece is a small circuit board with a blue light on it, maybe it's only made to work with playstations? Is something messing up in windows instead of the drive? The drive I plugged into it is a linux drive, the linux drive showed up on my windows desktop without problems, but is it possible that windows doesnt recognize it because its linux? I can provide a photo if needed.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I took apart a Seagate 2tb ps4 external hard drive. The drive in it has a stuck platter and does not work. Inside of the case there was an adapter that converts the hard drive to micro USB. I took it out to see if i could reuse the adapter for a normal hard drive and when I plug it into my laptop the drive spins and windows makes the sound that a usb device was plugged in but the drive doesnt show up in disk manager or mini tool partition wizard. Is it not enough power for a normal hard drive? The adapter piece is a small circuit board with a blue light on it, maybe it's only made to work with playstations? Is something messing up in windows instead of the drive? The drive I plugged into it is a linux drive, the linux drive showed up on my windows desktop without problems, but is it possible that windows doesnt recognize it because its linux? I can provide a photo if needed.
It's working now, I just had to disable and enable it in device manager.

ASK THE COMMUNITY