[SOLVED] MicroCenter 2 Rewire My Messy Wire Build?

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi, I hope this is the right forum for my question.

Four months ago I built my second computer. To my surprise, it was much more Complicated than my first build. I went heavy on the Corsair LL RGB Fan series. This created a lot of wires and three Corsair control hubs, with a fourth to be added now to make it possible for the RGB lightening strips I want. I am about to purchase a NZXT Internal USB to accommodate another few internal USB ports. I have already used all the USB headers on the MB.

Here’s the deal, I have a Corsair 570X Crystal series computer case that has glass paneling on all sides, so anyone can clearly see the inside the computer. After some half-hearted attempts to tackle the rat’s nest of cable wires spilling out behind the MB on to the floor, I decided that I would bring in my computer to my local MicroCenter store and have them do the wiring professionally,it will look nice.

When I was in the store and inquired about the service, I was told the charge would be $150 because all the wires must be pulled from the components and the tech must start from scratch with the wiring. I understood this and eventually came to terms w the price. I called MicroCenter today and they are now saying the wiring starts at $150 and can go up from there. MicroCenter will evaluate your system and give you a price for the wiring before they accept it, so I would know by then how much I would be in store for, which I’m starting to worry will exceed $200, which is beyond my budget.

I would like to know if this $150-$200 charge is a reasonable rate for wiring up a computer so it looks nice behind the glass sides? Is there somewhere else I could go other than MicroCenter? I will say I am a little hesitant to just call up a computer tech company near me to see if they will do the wiring and inquire how much they would charge. How do I know they won’t butcher the job and then demand money for their efforts that I might not agree is as professional looking as I would like? I’m kind of doubt that this scenario would come to pass, but how to best determine if a company is good with this type of work? Help?

Perhaps, the $100-$200 is not so unreasonable rate at MicroCenter when you consider the possible time it might take. I suppose a talented tech could do it in 1-2 hours max. I am not looking for this perfect wiring job. I just want it too look nice and well organized. Does anyone have any feedback on how best to proceed? Thanks in advance.

DSzymborski

Glorious
That's a fair price if you're making Microcenter do it. You're buying their time. Their time isn't cheaper just because it's a relatively unimportant thing.

This is the norm for skilled labor. If you have a minor thing that costs the car mechanic or a lawyer eight hours of their time, you're getting charged for eight hours of labor.

Honestly, why not make a full-hearted attempt? It's just being neat and using zip ties and stuff.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I'm kinda amazed you can even get someone to do that, honestly.

You don't think you're capable of re-routing the wires so they're mostly behind the case?

DSzymborski

Glorious
That's a fair price if you're making Microcenter do it. You're buying their time. Their time isn't cheaper just because it's a relatively unimportant thing.

This is the norm for skilled labor. If you have a minor thing that costs the car mechanic or a lawyer eight hours of their time, you're getting charged for eight hours of labor.

Honestly, why not make a full-hearted attempt? It's just being neat and using zip ties and stuff.

EndEffeKt_24

Upstanding
Mar 27, 2019
I am not that much into that whole RGB thing so I dont know exactly how the controls work...but 4 hubs sound a bit excessive to me. Are you sure that everything is set up the way its supposed to be? How many fans do you use?
I would never spent that money just because I am too lazy for cable management. Either get rid of the RGB or sit down and do it. There is plenty of helpful people here to get you advise.

ASK THE COMMUNITY