[SOLVED] MicroCenter 2 Rewire My Messy Wire Build?

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi, I hope this is the right forum for my question.

Four months ago I built my second computer. To my surprise, it was much more Complicated than my first build. I went heavy on the Corsair LL RGB Fan series. This created a lot of wires and three Corsair control hubs, with a fourth to be added now to make it possible for the RGB lightening strips I want. I am about to purchase a NZXT Internal USB to accommodate another few internal USB ports. I have already used all the USB headers on the MB.

Here’s the deal, I have a Corsair 570X Crystal series computer case that has glass paneling on all sides, so anyone can clearly see the inside the computer. After some half-hearted attempts to tackle the rat’s nest of cable wires spilling out behind the MB on to the floor, I decided that I would bring in my computer to my local MicroCenter store and have them do the wiring professionally,it will look nice.

When I was in the store and inquired about the service, I was told the charge would be $150 because all the wires must be pulled from the components and the tech must start from scratch with the wiring. I understood this and eventually came to terms w the price. I called MicroCenter today and they are now saying the wiring starts at $150 and can go up from there. MicroCenter will evaluate your system and give you a price for the wiring before they accept it, so I would know by then how much I would be in store for, which I’m starting to worry will exceed $200, which is beyond my budget.

I would like to know if this $150-$200 charge is a reasonable rate for wiring up a computer so it looks nice behind the glass sides? Is there somewhere else I could go other than MicroCenter? I will say I am a little hesitant to just call up a computer tech company near me to see if they will do the wiring and inquire how much they would charge. How do I know they won’t butcher the job and then demand money for their efforts that I might not agree is as professional looking as I would like? I’m kind of doubt that this scenario would come to pass, but how to best determine if a company is good with this type of work? Help?

Perhaps, the $100-$200 is not so unreasonable rate at MicroCenter when you consider the possible time it might take. I suppose a talented tech could do it in 1-2 hours max. I am not looking for this perfect wiring job. I just want it too look nice and well organized. Does anyone have any feedback on how best to proceed? Thanks in advance.

Solution
That's a fair price if you're making Microcenter do it. You're buying their time. Their time isn't cheaper just because it's a relatively unimportant thing.

This is the norm for skilled labor. If you have a minor thing that costs the car mechanic or a lawyer eight hours of their time, you're getting charged for eight hours of labor.

Honestly, why not make a full-hearted attempt? It's just being neat and using zip ties and stuff.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's a fair price if you're making Microcenter do it. You're buying their time. Their time isn't cheaper just because it's a relatively unimportant thing.

This is the norm for skilled labor. If you have a minor thing that costs the car mechanic or a lawyer eight hours of their time, you're getting charged for eight hours of labor.

Honestly, why not make a full-hearted attempt? It's just being neat and using zip ties and stuff.

Solution

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I am not that much into that whole RGB thing so I dont know exactly how the controls work...but 4 hubs sound a bit excessive to me. Are you sure that everything is set up the way its supposed to be? How many fans do you use?
I would never spent that money just because I am too lazy for cable management. Either get rid of the RGB or sit down and do it. There is plenty of helpful people here to get you advise.