News Micron Delays EUV RAM to 2025, Lays Off 10% of Workforce

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
We wouldn't have this problem if the major CPU, GPU and MOBO makers didn't think we were all filthy rich with more money than we knew how to spend. Hint: we are not! Get your absolutely insane prices back down into normal range (cut them in half!) and quite a few of us would be happy to upgrade...

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
We just paid for our insane heating bill.

I have no desire to spend money on new DD5 memory for a 0.01% performance gain. My DDR4 works just fine and I am not about to throw that money down the drain.

This is why I am not interested in any platform that doesn't support DDR4. Either you keep supporting DDR4, which is more than adequate today, or I will not buy a new mobo or CPU, simple as that.

This idea that people should be throwing away perfectly good working memory is utter baloney. Tech companies should be punished for all the e-waste they create because of it.

I have a very low tolerance for companies like Micron and Samsung, companies run by criminals that have been charged for memory price fixing many times.

Last edited:

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
With YMTC out of the picture now everyone can relax, Samsung can raise prices, Micron can delay investiments; sanctions might not stop China's rising power in the long term, but most certainly they will result in reduced competition in the short term...

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
Micron downsizing, ram companies downsizing, Global Foundries laying off people. AMD offering discounts on brand new products... only nVidia and AMD Radeon have their heads in the clouds.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
We just paid for our insane heating bill.

I have no desire to spend money on new DD5 memory for a 0.01% performance gain. My DDR4 works just fine and I am not about to throw that money down the drain.

This is why I am not interested in any platform that doesn't support DDR4. Either you keep supporting DDR4, which is more than adequate today, or I will not buy a new mobo or CPU, simple as that.

This idea that people should be throwing away perfectly good working memory is utter baloney. Tech companies should be punished for all the e-waste they create because of it.

I have a very low tolerance for companies like Micron and Samsung, companies run by criminals that have been charged for memory price fixing many times.
I can see your argument for not upgrading, but I don't agree with "upgrade" to a MB with DDR4. That rationale works great for large OEMs that chase the bottom dollar, but not as much in the enthusiast market.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
DDR5 ramp in servers will only begin when AMD and Intel start to roll out their next-generation EPYC and Xeon Scalable processors with DDR5 support.
Huh? You mean AMD isn't shipping Genoa in volume?

Micron expects server DDR5 bit shipments to crossover with DDR4 in mid-calendar 2024.
This slightly amazes me. I'd expect most new server deployment already to use DDR5, in 2023. I don't imagine it's typical to add RAM to servers, once deployed. Is it?

"The rate and pace of the recovery in terms of profitability depends on how fast supply is brought into line,"
I get that, but I hope they'll be able to ramp up production fast enough, as the demand returns.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Intel's next socket won't support DDR4 - I can assure you of that.

This idea that people should be throwing away perfectly good working memory is utter baloney.
It's always been that way. Old memory eventually becomes too small & slow, as software is written that assumes bigger and faster memory.

Tech companies should be punished for all the e-waste they create because of it.
Goverments could subsidize e-waste recycling and fund it by taxing electronic goods. Maybe some already do?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Based on... what?
I assume he's referring to overclocking. Hynix M die is the early darling of speed chasers. Samsung is a decent value. Micron is making 'functional' RAM that hits JEDEC timings, but is rather unexciting to enthusiasts.
Yup pretty much, Micron will run at 5200 and below, majority of Samsung DDR5 easily hits the AMD 6000 sweet spot with some voltage, and Hynix is the only way to go to get 6000+. There's been a number of DDR5 32gb kits around close to $100 lately and unfortunately they're all Micron.

TRENDING THREADS