News Micron Loses $2.312 Billion as Demand for DRAM and 3D NAND Nosedives

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I live in Syracuse, NY, and this is NOT good news!

They are supposed to be planning to build a chip plant up here, anyone want to start an office pool to bet when Micron pulls the plug on that deal?

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
Historically Micron has over-produced and then used low prices to move the excess volume. In the good times they rake in boatloads of cash so they typically can manage the slow times.

Some poorly managed companies thought that the high take rate during COVID would last forever. That was wishful thinking. With a world wide economic recession and high inflation this downturn is going to last awhile. Mismanagement on many fronts accounts for such difficult economic times.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I live in Syracuse, NY, and this is NOT good news!

They are supposed to be planning to build a chip plant up here, anyone want to start an office pool to bet when Micron pulls the plug on that deal?

If they're smart they'll go full steam ahead on the project. The whole COVID thing basically forced everyone into a focused upgrade cycle. We all know the tech sector is cyclical. . . things are great for three years then it sucks for three years then it's amazing and bust over and over and over and over. Right now is the downturn. Those who are smart enough to invest now will reap the rewards when the next boom cycle comes along in a few years.

If you start building and hiring when the boom happens, it's too late. By the time you have a factory and people to run it, the bust has started.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Sans-tre.jpg
High GPU and motherboard prices are killing PC sales.

There is a massive shift to consoles taking places as PC gaming has become something for the rich.

Last edited:

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I think maybe the lack of innovation as well, moving from 1-2-3-4 TB isn't a giant difference and the speeds are not moving up that fast either. I would like to see 10-50TB ssds in a consumer price range. I did see a crucial 4TB nvme drive for like $220 at newegg, while it's a good price, I still think it's not a lot of space. I would buy one around 8TB to toss my out my main backup drive.

Reactions: helper800
I think maybe the lack of innovation as well, moving from 1-2-3-4 TB isn't a giant difference and the speeds are not moving up that fast either. I would like to see 10-50TB ssds in a consumer price range. I did see a crucial 4TB nvme drive for like $220 at newegg, while it's a good price, I still think it's not a lot of space. I would buy one around 8TB to toss my out my main backup drive.
I agree to an extent. Though I would love to see such drives and capacities at consumer prices I doubt that will happen for 6-10 years. Innovation has been the main contributor to the storage industry falling off a cliff, in my opinion. Storage devices last a long time and since the density of the storage is ever greater the need to replace existing storage is dropping. Couple that with the fact that there has been little to no reason to upgrade "slower" storage to "faster" storage means they miss out on people that want the fastest stuff out there. If you look at the consumer performance drives from 4 years ago, they have similar 4k random read and write performance to the latest and greatest PCIe 5.0 drives. There is no compelling reason to spend a lot more money on much more expensive and new drives if the performance is similar in 90% of circumstances.

Reactions: jonathan1683

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Despite the fact that its loss per share totaled $2.12, Micron has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.115 per share, payable in cash on April 25, 2023.
I was just about to pay more for Micron-branded DDR5 ("buy American", and all that), until I saw that they're still paying dividends, in spite of the biggest quarterly losses since 2001!!!

Forget it. If they can afford to pay dividends, in this market climate and in spite of doing such layoffs, then I will just buy the cheaper RAM that's using SK Hynix.

D

Deleted member 14196

The article says it was a net loss that quarter, but as someone with an accounting degree I can tell you that any amount of chicanery is, "possible."
This was my thought exactly