Micron RealSSD P320h Review: A PCIe Drive Capable Of 3.2 GB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i dont see this as the future of consumer SSD's, just like a 16 core CPU is not the future of consumer CPU's.[/citation]

Such an apples to oranges comparison...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Eliminating the SAS controller is the logical way to have these pci-e based ssd drives...
Kinda surprised something like this didn't come out first as it makes more sense....

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]bawchicawawa[/nom]Such an apples to oranges comparison...[/citation]

really ? Increasingly, performance is basically dependent on extracting parallelism. Whether in storage or in CPU performance.
Desktop/Mainstream users just dont do so much in parallel that they can fully use all the hardware.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i dont see this as the future of consumer SSD's, just like a 16 core CPU is not the future of consumer CPU's.[/citation]
I see a purpose for 16 core processors. How are we going to otherwise be able to run Crysis 6?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Although read performance is out of this world, the RealSSD P320h's write performance isn't nearly as spectacular. That's not to say the drive doesn't do well; it's just not as impressive after looking at those massive read numbers. read performance was out of this world, the write performance wasn't nearly as spectacular. Now, that's not to say that the P320h doesn't perform well, it's just not as impressive as the read results[/citation]

????????!!!!!!!!!!!

abbadon_34

Distinguished
After all these years it's nice to see the OCZ Revo at least mentioned. Considering a bootable PCI-E x4 SSD can be had for under $200 for over 5 years now, and is on it's 4th+ generation, one can only wonder why it's been ignored for so long.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Micron deserves a pat on the back for this one!

Thanks for the review, love to see this kind of advancement and a peak into the future new hardware brings with it, even if it isn't directly applicable to me at this point in time.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
because the revo drive is a picky bastard that only plays nice with certain hardware.. i have a revo drive 3 and i love it but at the same time its a love hate relationship

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Eh, depending on how far in the future we're talking about, neither of those statements is iron-clad. In the case of a 16-core processor, it's pretty much guaranteed that we will eventually see one in the consumer space, at mainstream prices. Whether the extra cores on that CPU will offer any compelling benefit to the mainstream consumer is an open question, but at least those cores do offer meaningful performance benefits to hardcore multi-taskers.

Similarly, current consumer-grade SSDs offer very nearly instantaneous responsiveness already -- unless the user attempts to perform multiple disk-intensive tasks simultaneously. But who knows what the future holds? You could make a case that current enterprise-grade SSDs (or something similar to them) are far more likely to make a meaningful mark on the consumer market years from now than 16-core processors, because the benefits of CPU parallelism are limited in principle. By contrast, the benefit of storage speed is only limited by the speed of the components that rely on it; storage speed applies both to singular and parallel tasks.

That said, I agree with your sentiment if not with the particulars of your argument: my gut reaction to the article was that although 3.2 GB/sec is a very impressive number, I already feel like I'm flying at the ~0.5 GB/sec (at best) that I get out of my Intel 330. From the consumer perspective, performance comparisons between different SSDs almost always seem to me materially irrelevant, so it's hard to get too excited about the performance of an enterprise-grade SSD, even in the abstract.

Still, this is a worthy review of an interesting product. Appreciate the insight.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
This is a pointless waste of money, for less You can get a high end Raid card and enough ssds to have a read and write over 3gb/s as well as more storage, oh and the best part, Redundancy if wanted and the fact that a failure doesnt mean a multi thousand dollar loss.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rdc85[/nom]It using SLC and geared towards enterprise market... IMO it understandable price...[/citation]

1989... 1MB of memory chips (card extra) was $100 wholesale !
We sold them by the boat load for Amiga computers.

And yes, that is 1 MegaByte...
an 8MB card retailed for $1,800 (and that's in 1989 Dollars).

G

Thank you for the nice metrics, like $/PB-Written. It's the type of useful information lacking from many reviews.

drewriley

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Thank you for the nice metrics, like $/PB-Written. It's the type of useful information lacking from many reviews.[/citation]
I am glad you find it useful, it is something that I have always cared about and tested because I have been burned in the past.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

It's not pointless for enterprise databases.

Also, gb (gigabit) != gB (gigabyte). New SATA III SSDs are already past 3 gb/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.