News Micron: We Can Work Noble Gas Supply From Ukraine. For Now

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Semiconductor companies like Micron use various noble gases in their fabs, including hexafluorobutadiene.
That is a compound, it is not a noble gas. The defining characteristic of noble gases, is that they do not react with anything, so they cannot be present in a compound and, a compound cannot be a noble gas.

Reactions: jkflipflop98

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Anyone else feel like this whole Ukraine thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion?

Who gives a crap if a frozen tundra backwoods goes back under Russian control? It's been part of Russia for like 1,000 years. They have nothing that can't be sourced elsewhere.

Who gives a crap if a frozen tundra backwoods goes back under Russian control? It's been part of Russia for like 1,000 years.
Its not a frozen tundra - some of the places on Ukraine are hotter then Florida. And it has not been part of russia longer then 200 years. Better go back to school and learn something before writting utter nonsense.
And you should give a crap because bombs fall less then 100 km from NATO borders. All it takes is one bad shot and we'll get 3rd WW.

The irony in this is USA used to have the worlds largest supply stockpile of noble gasses all because of dirigibles. USA was afraid that noble gases would be used against us, starting with Helium in German dirigibles. Even at WW2, noble gases had many uses where non-reactivity was important (like welding certain materials to avoid contamination of the weld.) So a law was passed to have a strategic reserve of them. Many of these gases are the result of radioactive decay (Helium being the biggest noble gas product of fission) This lead the USA to having one of the largest stockpiles in the world. HOWEVER after 3 mile island, the USA turned away from nuclear, and hence our loss of noble gasses over time.

That's your worthless trivia of the day.

Anyone else feel like this whole Ukraine thing is getting blown WAY out of proportion?

I guess that depends on where you live!

If you live in Ukraine, then no, it's not 'getting WAY out of proportion'. On day 1 alone 20 civilians have been killed in the first 5 hours between 5-10am this morning. Is that out of proportion?

If you live in Europe, and are a NATO member or European ally (US, Australia etc) Then no, it's very much not getting blown way out of proportion, as the potential for increases in fossil fuel price (Natural Gas : Nord Stream 1 - controlled by Russia, and Nord Stream 2, - now cancelled) alone has the potential to put the a huge percentage of countries in Europe and beyond and their fossil fuel supplies in deep doo doo, and cause severe issues for those less fortunate who will end up choosing between food and energy costs. No, defo not WAY out of proportion.

As for MSM and their reporting of this worldwide event, where the majority think this is a disgusting act, it's a much better (truth) than the disgraceful reporting from conservative right wing media outlets, who actually regurgitate Putin/Russia propaganda.

Point of view is key, not just opinion.

Reactions: panathas and Krotow
That is a compound, it is not a noble gas. The defining characteristic of noble gases, is that they do not react with anything, so they cannot be present in a compound and, a compound cannot be a noble gas.

Whilst that statement is true, selectively choosing the text to back your argument is not great.

Actual statement: 'Semiconductor companies like Micron use various noble gases in their fabs, including hexafluorobutadiene (C4F6), neon, argon, and helium. '.

Neon, argon and helium are all most certainly Noble Gases.

Yes, maybe hexa should not have been included. Context is important though in terms of nit picking.

Who gives a crap if a frozen tundra backwoods goes back under Russian control? It's been part of Russia for like 1,000 years. They have nothing that can't be sourced elsewhere.

When Ukraine was "absorbed" into the Soviet Union, the Soviet Union encouraged Russians to move there as an attractive place to live. This is why the east is filled with Russians. To Russia, the Ukraine is a prosperous an country, the 2nd largest in Eastern Europe, with strategic warm water ports which the Russian Navy could actually use.

However Native Ukrainians would politely correct you if you call them "Russian." They have their own dialect, and culture and voted overwhelmingly in 1991 to separate themselves from the Soviet Union.

You cannot support places like Tibet and not claim the same for Ukrainians. Their situations really aren't all that different.

Putin is old school ex-KGB and he loves poking the "west" in the eye. He has an ego, and he's dangerous. And this war will likely result in the next Pottsdam Accords agreement of appeasement, which will only encourage China to take Taiwan.

I prefer to stay out of politics. But mark my words, if Europe and the USA are weak here, they will pay for it later.

So you want everyone to do nothing and potentially repeat history from about 83 years ago?

When Ukraine was "absorbed" into the Soviet Union, the Soviet Union encouraged Russians to move there as an attractive place to live. This is why the east is filled with Russians. To Russia, the Ukraine is a prosperous an country, the 2nd largest in Eastern Europe, with strategic warm water ports which the Russian Navy could actually use.

However Native Ukrainians would politely correct you if you call them "Russian." They have their own dialect, and culture and voted overwhelmingly in 1991 to separate themselves from the Soviet Union.

You cannot support places like Tibet and not claim the same for Ukrainians. Their situations really aren't all that different.

Putin is old school ex-KGB and he loves poking the "west" in the eye. He has an ego, and he's dangerous. And this war will likely result in the next Pottsdam Accords agreement of appeasement, which will only encourage China to take Taiwan.

I prefer to stay out of politics. But mark my words, if Europe and the USA are weak here, they will pay for it later.

China didn't/don't need any encouragement. They have been moving in on Taiwan for months now, with multiple transgressions into their air defense zone. It's just a matter of time before something happens there. TBH I'm not sure which came first - the eventual invasion of Taiwan by China, or the quick to move Russia insertion in Ukraine. Is one spurring on the other! Probably.

China didn't/don't need any encouragement. They have been moving in on Taiwan for months now, with multiple transgressions into their air defense zone. It's just a matter of time before something happens there. TBH I'm not sure which came first - the eventual invasion of Taiwan by China, or the quick to move Russia insertion in Ukraine. Is one spurring on the other! Probably.

As much as I hate to admit it, USA is not prepared for China right now. China is building more military tonnage in their Navy than the USA. The Berk class ships just weren't built for warfare with China. The Berk class were a response to terrorist nations. And China has better medium range air to air missiles which allows them to shoot first increasing the likelihood of loss by standard non stealth fighters. In a dog fight we would win without a doubt with the F16, F18, F22, and F15EX. F35 would be a draw at best. But missiles rule the skies and we don't have enough close friendly bases to cover Taiwan. That means carriers are needed. We might see a new class of craft designed to down enemy missiles for fleet defense. Possibly a new class of battleship too designed to withstand missile damage.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021

well even though it isnt americans, (your arrogance and carelessness tells me you are most likely on the left side of the atlantic) its innocent people dieing. Ukraine is also the second largest country in europe. They have 1/5 of the worlds commercial grade iron. Im pretty sure they are #6 in wheat production #3 in corn Im pretty sure.

Reactions: panathas

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
As much as I hate to admit it, USA is not prepared for China right now. China is building more military tonnage in their Navy than the USA. The Berk class ships just weren't built for warfare with China. The Berk class were a response to terrorist nations. And China has better medium range air to air missiles which allows them to shoot first increasing the likelihood of loss by standard non stealth fighters. In a dog fight we would win without a doubt with the F16, F18, F22, and F15EX. F35 would be a draw at best.
the sad thing is china makes so many american goods if they stopped sending them, the US would be in deep trouble. They dont need all the planes and stuff that bad

InvalidError

Titan
the sad thing is china makes so many american goods if they stopped sending them, the US would be in deep trouble. They dont need all the planes and stuff that bad
The Americas make enough of most stuff to manage without China. Only problem is that a lot of it is 5-10X more expensive than Chinese-made equivalents, so people will have to either get used to paying a whole lot more for stuff, get by without it or get crafty with DIY for stuff that is DIY-able.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Without us, China collapses and political unrest ensues as people starve. There's a reason China is stockpiling grains.

Europe will have to deal with Putin as we deal with China.
The Americas make enough of most stuff to manage without China. Only problem is that a lot of it is 5-10X more expensive than Chinese-made equivalents, so people will have to either get used to paying a whole lot more for stuff, get by without it or get crafty with DIY for stuff that is DIY-able.
yeah that's true. Off topic but I had a post deleted and the reason said: Thread hijacks deleted. It was just a regular post so i was wondering what happened cause I don't know another way to contact a moderator

Western Europe will do nothing as usual seeing how Russia supplies 40% of their gas.

Hmmmm. 'Western Europe' has just cancelled Nord Stream 2, supported by US administration. Western Europe (We/me) are doing all we can along with other countries including the US to sanction Russia as much as we can. This is despite '40%' of our natural gas supplies coming from Nord Stream 1. Western Europe has been for the last 2 months since Russia movements surrounding Ukraine trying to figure out alternatives to substitute this 40% with alternatives. We are not sitting here doing nothing! More than can be said for others, some of whom in the past scheme of things in geopolitical terms, seem to have forgotten!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Except Ukraine is located in temperate climate zone and coast of Black Sea is even more to south. Also one of the largest countries of Europe with 40 Mio people living in it. Almost all - Europeans with Christian culture background. Also loss of Ukraine is a green light to any hostile regime on Earth to do what they want to their neighbors - think China and Taiwan as first example. If Ukraine will be lost, it will end of the world as we know it. And green light to worldwide turmoil. Semiconductor shortage in light of this will be kid's play. Welcome to WW3 for real.

It was even worse. In 1932 after bad winter and too positive reports of Soviet authorities grain yield in Ukraine was a third shorter than expected. Although under Stalin's rule no one insisted and yield - grain and other agriculture products - was taken in planned amount. This caused mass famine and deaths by starvation of at least 3.5 Mio people in Ukraine. At today we know this event under name holodomor. In place of died out Ukrainians arrived Russian speaking people from Russian SFSR (nowadays Russia). This is one of main causes why in Ukraine at today eastern regions have so much Russian speaking people. It is also worth to mention that mixing natives with Russians in USSR was official politic in name or creation of so called "Soviet People" in real goal to do russification of other Soviet "republics". We in Baltic states experienced this same in great degree, when after WW2 plenty of these Russian speaking colonists was sent to work in factories built by Soviet authorities as offer which we couldn't refuse. And many others arrived after because we was "The West". These people are often a major headache and I have no doubt about which side they will take if Putin will decide to spit on NATO and international treaties and will move his minions to our direction.

Putin is old school ex-KGB and he loves poking the "west" in the eye. He has an ego, and he's dangerous. And this war will likely result in the next Potsdam Accords agreement of appeasement, which will only encourage China to take Taiwan.

Exactly. You cant put sanctions on few oligarchs and two banks if collective Russian hoodlum want to take belongings of collective West in dark alley. These people understand only direct answer in form of fist in their collective face. I specially use crime metaphor, because Putin and his surroundings came for similar places and many of them have deep history with organised crime in Russia. Even if western countries does not begin open war with Russia now, they must throw anything in arena that will hurt and destroy Russian forces, finances, pride and make their lifes miserable enough to revolt against criminals in their government. We must arm Ukraine to teeth, arrest all financial and physical assets of all Russian government, military and municipal officials in West, find and deport their relatives who live in western countries back to Russia without a right to return, cancel all projects with Russia, stop using their oil and gas, cut off Russia from SWIFT and other foreign financial resources and prevent Russia for messing with western media and Internet resources. Find all pro-Kremlin hackers and trolls who live in western countries and deal with them under wartime law (will help against ransomware propagation as well).

Western Europe will do nothing as usual seeing how Russia supplies 40% of their gas.

I hope that this will change in next days. Otherwise we in west indeed are stupid and deserve what will come.

Point being? Western Europe are now under control of Russia because of gas supply!? US needs to restore fracking rights, when majority of population don't support that!? There's a bigger picture here!

Energy independence is the only way to prevent encroachment and blackmail. OPEC tried for years to blackmail us with oil over our support of Israel. While it created long lines for gas, it only strengthened our resolve.

So what's the bigger picture I'm missing?