Question Microphone barely audible (Perfectly clarity in Razer Synapse application)

3minjence

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hello,

Just today I logged into a discord channel and was told I could not be heard.

I had a look first at the discord sound settings, I've made sure that:
  • Input/output devices are correct
  • Voice processing options are disabled (AGC, Noice suppression, Echo cancellation)
  • Keybinds are correct.

When using Discords "Mic Test" feature I need to be yelling to get volume out at a whispering level.

I've checked Sound -> Recording
  • Verified the correct device is set
  • Levels - Set to 100
  • AGC is disabled

I've tried the listen function in windows sound and get the same as on Discords mic test. I have to yell to even catch a breath of output volume.

Now in Razer Synapse (application for the headset)
  • Volume is set to 100
  • Mic sensitivity option is disabled
  • All enhancements are disabled

When I enable sidetone (Listen to your microphone through your headset) within this application, and set it to 100, I'm sure I could cause permanent hearing damage to myself if I yelled.
I can hear my fingers rubbing together more than an arms length away. I can hear the clink of a spoon in a teacup tn the other end of the house - I know the microphone is working perfectly fine. Something is getting in the way of the input audio and significantly reducing its volume before it gets to an output.

I am unsure what to try.

Any help appreciated, this is heavily impacting my recreational time. What fun are games without communication.
Screenshots

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Last edited:

3minjence

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Since Synapse works, and Windows doesn't, the problem lies between them. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software? Maybe even uninstall, try without the software, and only then reinstall.

EDIT: Scrap that, Windows update KB4489899 may be the culprit. This article has a workaround (paragraphs 5 & 6):

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-fixes-game-breaking-windows-update,38804.html

Hey Gillerer, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I gave both theories a crack. Uninstalling synapse didn't fix it unfortunately. I re-installed synapse, works fine in there still.

I tried the workaround for the windows update, but had no improvements, then I also tried to fix by uninstalling the KB4489899 update. Still have the issue. 😵

Wanting to rip my hair out 😖

3minjence

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
To anyone following, I believe the problem lies with the USB audio controller. I have purchased a female to male-male 3.5mm jack splitter to test my headset directly with my sound card. If this solves my mic issue, my USB controller sold with the headset from Razer is defective/has compatibility issues with Windows.
If it does not, the issue lies with a driver or defective MoBo I guess - fun times ahead =(.

3minjence

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
I've confirmed the headset is working in my sound card using a 3.5mm splitter to separate the Mic/Headset.

Anyone following; Do you belive there is a software issue for the USB controller to stop working? Or has it gone faulty??

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Maybe open Start menu, type "device manager".

Find the problematic device in the list, then, in order:
  1. In device manager, right click on the device and select "Update driver". If the driver gets updated, restart Windows and see if it's fixed. Otherwise move to 2.
  2. In device manager, right click on the device and select "Uninstall".
  3. If you have drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's site, reinstall using those. Restart Windows and see if it's fixed.
  4. If you can't get manufacturer-supplied drivers, in device manager, go to Action menu > "Scan for hardware changes". Drivers should get reinstalled. Restart Windows and see if it's fixed.

Note that you should restart Windows after changes - not shut it down and start again.

Shutting down (since WIndows 8 or 8.1, not sure) hibernates to disk (unless you've changed the setting yourself or there are pending Windows updates). That means Windows won't actually start from zero when you start the computer, but will continue where you left off, and system changes might not take effect.