Question Microphone can be heard in the speakers even though "Listen to this device" is off???

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
How could this happen? Its like its bleeding into the speakers. Anybody else had this problem with Window 7? Also I noticed that when my headphones were selected some microphone noise bleeded into the speakers. How can this happen when "Listen to this device" is not selected? And when I change "Playback through this device" it doesn't affect anything. It still plays back through the speakers.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information (Windows 7 noted) edition/version?

Microphone: make, model, connectivity?

Try the microphone on another known working computer.

Try another known working microphone on your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the microphone or stays with your computer.

Likewise swap and test audio cables. Especially if using any adapters.

Could be a short of some sort....

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information (Windows 7 noted) edition/version?

Microphone: make, model, connectivity?

Try the microphone on another known working computer.

Try another known working microphone on your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the microphone or stays with your computer.

Likewise swap and test audio cables. Especially if using any adapters.

Could be a short of some sort....

The mic is a $2 China special. I have 3 of them.
If you change the device that "listens" obviously the type of mic doesn't affect that. I've used the mic on other devices. Works fine. And when you change the default output you sure shouldn't hear anything from the other one!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Separate headphones and microphone - correct?

When a microphone is "off" and still can be heard then that microphone is not really off. Electricity is flowing where it should not be flowing and that leads me to believe that there could be a short circuit.

Being "a $2 China special" suggests that the microphone could be faulty or failing. One immediate thought being a faulty on/off switch. You get what you pay for.

However, because that particular microphone works fine on other devices then the problem (a possible short) is in your computer or perhaps the headphones if the microphone is connected there.

Likely a damaged port, microphone plug or cable. Maybe just a bit of physical misalignment. Does not take much to cause such problems.

And adapters, if any, can go bad as well. What connection path are you using?

Does the problem occur with the other two microphones? If so then that is even more indication that the problem is within your computer.

= = = =

That all said, there is no need to be rude or insulting. Continuing such behavior is unnecessary and has consequences. Please read the Forum Rules.

We are all volunteers here and the troubleshooting process has to start somewhere and usually starts with some initial questions.

TRENDING THREADS