Question Microphone hiss, static, and whine.

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
To see if the noise was a problem with my cable, I unplugged it from the audio interface and STILL got the same whine. Is it a problem with the interface or windows?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I just got a new microphone and all I get is static. I tried it on a linux computer and it worked perfectly fine. I updated drivers and everything yet my problem still remains. PLEASE HELP.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is coil whine but that is simply "thinking out loud".

More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include the audio system you are using.

Google "coil whine", read a few sites, then modify your search as seems applicable.

Post accordingly.

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I own another USB microphone and I plugged it in. My issue did not occur with the USB microphone. After consulting with a family member who has experience with audio equipment, we think it is likely ground loop interference. Thank you for reaching out.

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I own another USB microphone and I plugged it in. My issue did not occur with the USB microphone. After consulting with a family member who has experience with audio equipment, we think it is likely ground loop interference. Thank you for reaching out.

I mean, whats the model of the microphone that has the static and whats the model of the mic that does not have the static?

If it was a ground loop issue the issue would be on both mics.

Maybe your new mic is just cheaper? Also is there anyway to upload a audio recording to youtube or something so we can hear the static in the mic? Not all mics are built the same and some have a higher noise floor than others.

Im a Audio Engineer.

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
My new microphone goes through an audio interface. I unplugged the microphone from the interface and still got the interference. The microphone is an se x1 s and the interface is an ART dual pre amplifier.

My new microphone goes through an audio interface. I unplugged the microphone from the interface and still got the interference. The microphone is an se x1 s and the interface is an ART dual pre amplifier.

wait, so its an XLR microphone and not a USB mic?

If your using a XLR Phantom Power 48v interface to power the mic, where are your headphones plugged in to hear the audio coming through the mic? Is monitoring enabled to be able to hear yourself in the headphones on the interface itself or software based monitoring? Are your headphones plugged directly into the interface or into the pc?

Also what do you mean when you unplug the mic you still hear the static?

Also how could there still be static without the mic plugged in but no static with the other mic you tried plugged in?

I feel you need to describe the issue a bit more fluently so I can better assist you.

Last edited: