[SOLVED] Microphone in dslr or soundcard

Sep 8, 2019
I could be completely clueless and seem more so by even asking this. Usually, up to this point I have always used my microphones plugged directly in to the dslr I am using to capture the video. I just bought a new microphone with the ability to capture much higher quality audio. My question is, overall am I going to be able to get better sound quality using this new mic directly in the dslr as I have always done or plugging the mic in to my PC sound card and recording via audacity? The microphone cable is an XLR and has a 3.5mm Jack on the end being plugged in to audio capturing device. Also, it is worth noting that the sound card in my PC is the integrated one on the motherboard. It is not external or anything special. Any help here?

Solution
Not up to par on DSLR cams but, you'll likely be able to keep the gain lower on the camera vs PC internal sound card, which would help reduce the noise floor especially if the PCs sound card isn't that good.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Not up to par on DSLR cams but, you'll likely be able to keep the gain lower on the camera vs PC internal sound card, which would help reduce the noise floor especially if the PCs sound card isn't that good.

Solution
overall am I going to be able to get better sound quality using this new mic directly in the dslr as I have always done or plugging the mic in to my PC sound card and recording via audacity?
Yes, you can get better, lot more better sound than the onboard mics on DSLRs, because the onboard one is the low quality one.

I don't use any of them, but you can find more info online, you can search like : DSLR microphone guide.
Somethings like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...ions/what-works-for-you-a-guide-to-dslr-audio

Sep 8, 2019
Yes, you can get better, lot more better sound than the onboard mics on DSLRs, because the onboard one is the low quality one.

I don't use any of them, but you can find more info online, you can search like : DSLR microphone guide.
Somethings like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...ions/what-works-for-you-a-guide-to-dslr-audio
I'm not talking about using the dslr on board mics. I'm talking about plugging my dynamic microphone directly in to the cameras mic Jack as opposed to my integrated sound card.