Question Microphone is detected, but not working properly.

okawan321

Prominent
Jun 23, 2018
When I go to Sounds > Recording, a microphone is detected but the green bards don't light up at all. This problem started kind of suddenly - I haven't had issues with this before.

If I use the voice recorder app and literally yell into the microphone, when I play it back I can hear muffled speech.

I've tried the following:
  • Switching microphones/headsets
  • Using microphones/headsets on different devices to confirm they work
  • Using the front and rear 3.5mm jack ports
  • Using a USB sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi Pro)
  • Reinstalling drivers (Realtek HD Audio Driver)
  • Checking the Windows Privacy setting

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5. Windows 10 Version 1803. Headsets I've tried are a V-Moda Boom Mic attached to a philips headset as well as a HyperX Cloud Revolver S.

Can provide more specs... I'm running out of options, next things I was going to try was to reset Windows and then consider replacing the MoBo or something...

Feb 25, 2019
I'm a novice, so grant me some grace. However, I recently had a problem with the microphone working on my Bose headphones. In the end, the fix lied within the Realtek Audio Manager. By default, the only way to access this was to go to the Control Panel. Once you access the app, it gives you the opportunity to put an icon in the system tray.

Nonetheless, the manager allowed me to tell the computer that I was plugging in a headset as opposed to headphones or mic. Once I selected the device I was using was a headset, the mic came alive.

Since this problem only recently presented itself, I wonder if somehow the jack being used was inadvertently assigned to a device other than headphone and/or mic.