[SOLVED] Microphone is only picking up Noise

iahmedde

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
My computed is a custom PC build. I've picked up a 3.5 mm microphone and connected it to the back panel (Pink) of my motherboard (H510M-S2H) but the microphone is not picking up any audio.

I activated the listen option and I can hear that the microphone is only giving Noise sound, no matter how loud I speak to it.

I reinstalled Realtek drivers, checked for updates and tried Line-in but nothing is working at all. I tried the microphone on my smartphone and it was working as expected so I'm not sure where is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz
RAM: Patriot 8.0 x 2 GB 3200 MHz viper steel SDRAM DDR4
MB: H510M-S2H
SSD: XPG GAMMIX 256GB S11 Pro M.2.
HDD: 1 T.B. 7200 RPM SATA
PSU: DEEPCOOL DA600 80 PLUS Bronze (600 Watts)

Last edited:
Solution
Just an update in case someone else in the future had the same problem.

The mic I purchased was directed to smartphones and newer laptops that uses TRRS (Sound output and Microphone input in the same jack, just like smartphones).

It was confusing for me because they are all 3.55 mm jacks and you can plug both to both. The noise that i was getting was because the PC wasn't getting the microphone signal in the first place.

Some motherboards -if not all- and older laptops does not support Audio and Microphone jack in the same jack (aka TRRS). Instead, you'll find there is 2 jacks, 1 for sound colored as green, and 1 for microphone colored as red. They are both TRS.

So to make it work you need a splitter that takes the TRRS and...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model microphone?

Have you tried testing the microphone on other known working computers or applicable audio devices?

Right click the small speaker icon that normally appears in the lower right screen corner.

A menu should appear that presents four or five audio related options. Explore the options including all windows, tabs, and properties. You may need to reconfigure the audio settings to tell the host computer to use the back panel (pink) port for audio input.

A quicker way may be to go to the "Type here to search" box and type in (without quotes) "Audio".

Doing so will lead to the Sound settings window that will help you set up and test the microphone.

iahmedde

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Microphone model is not listed in the purchase page.

<quote>Have you tried testing the microphone on other known working computers or applicable audio devices?</quote>
Yes. I tried it with my smartphone and it was working fine.

Attached is realtek audio console identifying the mic.
I have enabled "listen" option from sounds > recordings > Microphone > Listen, to be able to hear what is the mic is picking up and it is the same at all scenarios, just noise.
I have played around and tested every setting but I got the very same output.
Wg1fOs6.png

GkPxNkV.png

iahmedde

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

The mic I purchased was directed to smartphones and newer laptops that uses TRRS (Sound output and Microphone input in the same jack, just like smartphones).

It was confusing for me because they are all 3.55 mm jacks and you can plug both to both. The noise that i was getting was because the PC wasn't getting the microphone signal in the first place.

Some motherboards -if not all- and older laptops does not support Audio and Microphone jack in the same jack (aka TRRS). Instead, you'll find there is 2 jacks, 1 for sound colored as green, and 1 for microphone colored as red. They are both TRS.

So to make it work you need a splitter that takes the TRRS and produce 2 jacks that you'll use on the PC.

Reactions: dorsai

So to make it work you need a splitter that takes the TRRS and produce 2 jacks that you'll use on the PC.

This is why it's important to list all parts used, if you listed the mic brand and model someone would have noticed it was made for a 4 pole connection (TRRS). Without that specific piece of information it's just about impossible to sort out the issue.

Solution

iahmedde

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
This is why it's important to list all parts used, if you listed the mic brand and model someone would have noticed it was made for a 4 pole connection (TRRS). Without that specific piece of information it's just about impossible to sort out the issue.
Yup it's my bad. I didn't know there is a difference in 3.5 mm input types, but the mic was unbranded so I wasn't able to link it.

TRENDING THREADS