Question Microphone jacks on computer no longer work

Apr 7, 2019
After relocating my PC, something I regularly do, my microphone jacks (back and front) stopped working. I've tested this mic elsewhere and it still works. My headphone jacks still work for output perfectly fine. I've reinstalled my recommended motherboard audio driver (realtek). I don't know where exactly the problem lies.

My PC detects the mic, but no sound is transmitted. USB mics work fine. I've tested my PC with other mics and still doesn't work. Strangely enough, my Apple headphone/mic combo actually does transmit if I yell into it, or if the pods bump together it makes a click.

If there is a better place to post let me know. My relevant specs are:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset
Windows 10

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If all the jacks stopped working and you've tested the microphone elsewhere, then it's likely the sound card has simply given up the ghost. At this point, you're looking at a new sound card; a cheap USB one can be found for under $10 if you're on a tight budget.

Apr 7, 2019
If all the jacks stopped working and you've tested the microphone elsewhere, then it's likely the sound card has simply given up the ghost. At this point, you're looking at a new sound card; a cheap USB one can be found for under $10 if you're on a tight budget.
I bought a USB sound card (ugreen USB audio adapter external stereo sound card), and tried it out. It acts IDENTICAL to just plugging it into my mic jack. It can detect the pods clicking together, blowing into some mics, but nothing else. Has no issue recognizing if it's plugged in or not.

Last edited: