Question Microphone not able to record after Windows Update

NCSGeek

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Hello. My Blue Yeti Mic is not picking up audio anywhere. This issue took hold after I updated windows. (I also got many other issues after the update)

The mic works on my other OS on my disk (Ubuntu) and also works on another Win10 PC I have in my household. Because of those things, I do not think it is a hardware issue with the microphone.

What I have tried is as follows:

- Tried all three USB 3.0 ports I have on my PC.

- Unplugged Mic, Reinstalled Device/Drivers, etc.

- Contacted Blue Yeti support. I got generic "make sure it's not muted" and such. Still waiting to hear back from them further.

- Ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt.

- I do not use any antivirus/antimalware software except for Windows Defender. That is worth noting.

- Tried recording the microphone directly from Audacity. It gives me error -9999 which upon googling, is basically the "we dont know what went wrong" error.

- As mentioned above, the mic works with the same cord on another windows 10 PC, as well as on my Ubuntu installation on this PC. (The PC that has this issue)

- Checked all options/settings in the device's properties. (Levels, etc)

It's worth mentioning that after updating Windows, the privacy section of my Win10 settings is broken, showing an error message.

Screenshot of error: View: https://i.imgur.com/mvTZ5nv.png

This error message shows when I try to view any category of permissions under "App Permission" (Microphone, Contacts, etc, etc). Clicking 'OK' closes settings.

Because of this, I thought maybe the microphone setting was set to deny microphone access. So what I did was I manually changed it to allow it via the Registry and gpedit.msc. So while I cannot technically confirm if it's showing it as allowed in the settings, I can confirm it to be set that way in those two areas that I used.

So after all of that, I have no idea. Most issues I can come to fix myself, but with this I am just not sure. Usually I'd provide PC specs, but that isnt very relevant for this type of issue in my opinion. But my Winver is 1903 build 18362.476. Any help is very appreciated. Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
"Usually I'd provide PC specs,..."
With all due respect, it is relevant.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You've mentioned being on 1903, we're currently on 1909. Then is the matter of which BIOS version you're currently on? With Windows 10, you need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS updates(if there are any) prior to make a move for the next version.

Since your mic is USB driven, you should try reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers and see if that changes your issue.

NCSGeek

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
"Usually I'd provide PC specs,..."
With all due respect, it is relevant.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You've mentioned being on 1903, we're currently on 1909. Then is the matter of which BIOS version you're currently on? With Windows 10, you need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS updates(if there are any) prior to make a move for the next version.

Since your mic is USB driven, you should try reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers and see if that changes your issue.

Alright, no worries. Here's the pcpartpicker list of my current PC.

CPU | [AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor]
Motherboard | [MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard])
Memory | [G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory]
Memory | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory]
Video Card | [PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2 GB Video Card]
Case | [Raidmax Narwhal ATX Full Tower Case]
Power Supply | [Rosewill HIVE 1000 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply]
Operating System | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]