Microphone not showing up after updating Windows 10

ShaunSkats

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Yesterday, I finally deicided to update Windows 10 to the latest version available. However, upon restarting my laptop to finalize the update, I ran into some problems that I cannot resolve. My microphone that is connected to my earbuds no longer works in the laptop, but works on other devices such as my phone or another PC. I have already tried reinstalling the audio driver, and tried reinstalling my specific audio driver from the manufactor of my laptop. None of these solutions worked, and I cannot seem to fix the issue. I can't downgrade my update since it will not allow me to. I can provide specifications and the audio driver I have been trying to reinstall! Please help me resolve this issue!

ShaunSkats

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ShaunSkats : "Microphone no longer showing up after updating Windows 10"

Yesterday, I finally deicided to update Windows 10 to the latest version available. However, upon restarting my laptop to finalize the update, I ran into some problems that I cannot resolve. My microphone that is connected to my earbuds no longer works in the laptop, but works on other devices such as my phone or another PC. I have already tried reinstalling the audio driver, and tried reinstalling my specific audio driver from the manufactor of my laptop. None of these solutions worked, and I cannot seem to fix the issue. I can't downgrade my update since it will not allow me to. I can provide specifications and the audio driver I have been trying to reinstall! Please help me resolve this issue!

Apr 21, 2018
Hi, I have an HP desktop 300 series Touchsmart, old but my baby. Updated to Win 10 years ago, but finally bought 1tb hard drive and did clean install. Microphone disappeared completely! I have been researching, bought DriverEasy....to no avail. Finally, at wit's end...came up a thread in an HP forum that may be able to help you, I don't think it is strictly HP limited. I used this author's method, and I'm talking major success! Yay! Zip file is used, along with using the SAME protocol used in making your motherboard, as different manufacturer's will tweak the motherboard components to follow their guidelines. Mine is a Pergatron (Jesse), also known as a SoundMax 1984a, just had to reinstall the driver for audio, since HP doesn't have a Win 10 upgrade and I did clean install, therefore allowing MS to install a generic, no microphone, basic driver instead. Anyhow, full steam ahead, and very happy! Here is the link, he shows 64 bit and 32 bit, very simple 5 steps. Make sure you know your motherboard specific audio driver, very important. Hope this helps!

Apr 21, 2018

Apr 21, 2018
Shaun, hi, I have an HP desktop 300 series Touchsmart, old but my baby. Updated to Win 10 years ago, but finally bought 1tb hard drive and did clean install. Microphone disappeared completely! I have been researching, bought DriverEasy....to no avail. Finally, at wit's end...came up a thread in an HP forum that may be able to help you, I don't think it is strictly HP limited. I used this author's method, and I'm talking major success! Yay! Zip file is used, along with using the SAME protocol used in making your motherboard, as different manufacturer's will tweak the motherboard components to follow their guidelines. Mine is a Pergatron (Jesse), also known as a SoundMax 1984a, just had to reinstall the driver for audio, since HP doesn't have a Win 10 upgrade and I did clean install, therefore allowing MS to install a generic, no microphone, basic driver instead. Anyhow, full steam ahead, and very happy! Here is the link, he shows 64 bit and 32 bit, very simple 5 steps. Make sure you know your motherboard specific audio driver, very important. Hope this helps!