Question Microphone not working with DisplayPort cable

Nov 25, 2020
Greetings,

I am new here. This is my first question. It's the really first time I don't find a solution to my computer problem to the point I ask in a forum lol.

Anyway, so my issue is that my microphone is not working.

- Laptop: MSI P65 Creator 8RF
  • Headphone: Alienware 510H 7.1
  • Monitor: Sceptre C30 ultrawide curved gaming

The mic works perfectly when I am using the laptop only - So no additional monitor used. But when I use the monitor, which is connected to my laptop via Displayport, then the mic doesn't work anymore. It is still recognized by the computer tough. Also, I can still hear from my headphone.

My laptop has 2 jack ports on the side. One has a microphone logo, the other one a headset logo. My headset has 2 jack cables with the same logos. So this is simply perfect.

The Scepter monitor on another hand only has 1 jack port - Which is for the output audio.

This is how my devices are set :
View: https://imgur.com/a/vt5tX9Z

So right now my headset is connected to my laptop. Not to the monitor. I can hear sounds, but can't speak...

I looked and tried everything I found online to the point of trying to update my drivers... Nothing. Still not working. I can't believe a ''pro a** gaming monitor'' doesn't allow the use of a mic. This sounds utterly dumb to me. Gaming without a mic huh?

Could anyone please help me to fix my issue?

Nov 25, 2020
So my headset also comes with a USB cable. I switched to this cable and it starts working. Then I switched back to the jack cables and now it works... I legit spent 5h+ trying to fix this. Idk how it fixed it.

TRENDING THREADS