Microphone on windows 10 is not working

sonicbests777

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
Hello,

so I have made previous forums about this but I wasn't happy with the answer i got. So my headset has a microphone on it but only one 3.5 mm jack. My pc case has two ports, one for audio and one for mic. The audio one works find but the mic wont work on the audio one so I plug my headset into the microphone port and to my surprise the microphone still wont work. Is there any solution to this without needing to buy a splitter? I really need help on this as I can't speak to any of my friends on skype which bugs me off.

thank you

Solution
Does the headphone 3.5 mm jack have 3 black rings? And thus 4 metal connections like this:

tip, black ring, metal, black ring, metal, black ring, metal? Also know as TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve).

Two of the metal rings provide audio L & R to the headphone speakers, one metal, provides the microphone connection. The 4th metal is the ground connection to provide complete electrical circuits.

The requirement is that the microphone's part of all that be separated from the others so it can use the mic port on the PC.

And that is what the splitter does.

You do have the option of cutting off the existing plug. Then purchase and solder on two new plugs. On stereo and one mono. That all must be done correctly and carefully.

You...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the headphone 3.5 mm jack have 3 black rings? And thus 4 metal connections like this:

tip, black ring, metal, black ring, metal, black ring, metal? Also know as TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve).

Two of the metal rings provide audio L & R to the headphone speakers, one metal, provides the microphone connection. The 4th metal is the ground connection to provide complete electrical circuits.

The requirement is that the microphone's part of all that be separated from the others so it can use the mic port on the PC.

And that is what the splitter does.

You do have the option of cutting off the existing plug. Then purchase and solder on two new plugs. On stereo and one mono. That all must be done correctly and carefully.

You will save a lot of effort by just getting a splitter.

Something like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech-3.5mm-4-Pin-to-2x-3-Pin-3.5mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter-F-M/17219087?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=17219087&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=d6d4e02a-93e3-4361-a6f5-28f7ddc40c8f&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=16531375&parent_anchor_item_id=16531375&guid=82c2eb7a-4a05-418d-928b-1a98a03058ca&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Solution

sonicbests777

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

will the splitter 100% work?

sonicbests777

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Ralston18

Titan
Per the "specification" under Product Description should be okay.

I.e.;

"1. Input: 3.5mm 4-pin Female x1;
2. Output: 3.5mm 4-pin Male for Mic x1; 3.5mm 4-pin Male for Audio x1;
3. Connect a 4-position headset to a computer/Laptop that has separate microphone and audio ports"

However the output "4-pin" reference in 2. above does not seem right - should be "3" I think. Typo perhaps....?

Google "TRRS to TRS pinouts". Lots of images and diagrams so you can see that the details are important....

Note that cable is just less than 12" (20 cm) long which should be okay unless you are hoping for a bit of an extension beyond that....

Anyway that would be the adapter "style" I would purchase. Keep the packaging just in case.....

TRENDING THREADS