Microphone randomly stopped working and doesn't detect input.

frankgatto98

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
This problem came completely out of nowhere, as of two days ago. My microphone will just randomly stop working. It is still connected and powered on, as the microphone itself is still lit up, however there is no sound detected in Windows recording devices or on Discord. Disabling and enabling the device will make it work for a short amount of time until it decides to stop working again.

I have already tried plugging it into multiple USB ports. All of my other USB devices are functioning properly. My microphone is powered on regardless, so I don't think it's a problem with the ports. My only guess is that something is causing it to stop working, but I don't know what it would be. Windows still detects my mic as being there, but no sound is being produced.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I've opened up my case and cleaned around, I've switched USB ports, and I've run a scan on Malwarebytes to be safe. I don't know what else to try.

Solution
Many options remain:

Windows 10? Start by running the built in troubleshooters:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try other microphones on your computer and try your microphone on other computers (or applicable audio devices).

Determine if the problem is with the microphone itself or the current host computer.

And, reinstall the applicable audio drivers. Download from the manufacturer's website, reinstall, configure, and test.

Ralston18

Titan
Many options remain:

Windows 10? Start by running the built in troubleshooters:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try other microphones on your computer and try your microphone on other computers (or applicable audio devices).

Determine if the problem is with the microphone itself or the current host computer.

And, reinstall the applicable audio drivers. Download from the manufacturer's website, reinstall, configure, and test.

Solution