Microphone set-up for YouTube and Livestreaming

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hi guys

I have been wanting to buy a dedicated microphone for livestreaming and YouTube for a while now but I cannot decide which one.. I have been using a headset microphone and it is far from good honestly. Do you guys have any suggestions regarding this? I am looking for a mic set-up with a popfilter. Down the line if really needed I can also buy a boom arm ad a shock mount.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Solution
The two really are very close in audio and a preference there is subjective. You'd be best of trying out both and seeing which one you prefer. The 2020 is better at ranges outside of human voice though so if you plan on doing any instrument work that'd be your best bet. But if you're just going to talk into it either will really be fine.
I'd take whatever is on sale.

As for the pop filter, just get anything not designed to fit on a boom arm. You'll need to clamp on to a flat plate (yeti) or . . . euhm, get a windscreen for the AT2020.
While there is a difference in pop filters (windscreen, metal/nylon, single/double, quality), it's primary function of making sure the air exhausted by you doesn't excite the diaphragm (as well as...

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Depends on your budget tbh.

Simplicity through USB
Lower end the blue snowball, double that budget will get you a yeti or AT2020. The AT2020 can fit a generic shock mount for as both blues require very specific (and expensive) ones.

If you want to dive into a deeper end you may want to go with an XLR based microphone and combine that with a mixer to provide pre-ampage and PC interface (as well as sliders, mute buttons and oh so many other goodies)

The first options are $60/120, the latter from $60 to several tens of thousands.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Both Yeti and AT2020 are fine microphones and should cover your audio needs. There's plenty of reviews and comparisons of both online.
The standard AT2020 lacks some features that the yeti has, but the plus covers some of those. You should look into the particulars and then see if you will be using the direct headphone output (although I really like the mute button)

The official blue shock mount is pricey (although currently on sale) whereas an AT2020 fits in a standard one. Although it seems there is a 3rd party one is now available for the yeti.
And then you add a generic scissor/table arm.

Or,
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-a-streaming-studio-for-under-150/
Scale-able
Modular
direct control on volume mix on your table (rather than floating in front of your face somewhere or clickable on your screen)
Most options for mounts, accessories, etc. are open.

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
What about the AT 2035? I'm not so much a mic expert and thus do not know what differences there might be and what direct headphone output really is. I just want suggestions on a good setup to use for streaming and youtube. :)
Thank you for the suggestions so far but I simply cannot chose between the yeti and AT 2020 and 2035 or others because I do not know any significant difference even though there might be.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I forgot to mention that apart from my very quiet computer and everything I do have a relatively loud keyboard. I own a Razer Blackwidow ultimate so I have those clicky sound noises but I just love the way it feels when you type. On the other hand, if possible, I would like a microphone that could possibly block that noise out.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Well, an important difference is that the 2035 is an XLR mic, so you'll need something to interface between that and the PC, whereas the 2020/yeti are USB mics.

The differences between yeti 2020 wrt voice is that the yeti sounds a bit brighter and more crisp, while the AT2020 sounds warmer..
I mean there's a bunch of other stuff, the stand of the yeti is a lot better than the 2020, but you'll be providing your own boom anyway (You can use the stand, but you don't want to, it enforces a greater distance from your mouth than you want), there's difference in buttons and whatnot. But in sound both are excellent.

The 2035 beats the 2020, but you'll need to get a mixer in between the mic and PC on top of the already more expensive mic.

Keyboard clicks.
You may want to consider a dynamic microphone. Everything discussed until now is a condenser microphone, and they're more sensitive. This is good . . . . in a studio environment.
In less than ideal situations a dynamic mic is better. They don't do so well picking up other things, such as keyboard clicks and for optimal sound quality require you to place your mouth in very close proximity to the mic.
The Rode podcaster is slightly out of your price range, but always used as a shining example.
Other options include the ATR2100, Shure sm57, and many others.

Then there's putting your mic in it's own sound booth or suspending something sound absorbing from your boom between mix and keyboard. Both of these options look ridiculous, but sorta work.

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I've did a few test recordings.. It seems that my hyperx cloud 1 microphone is not picking up the sounds that much at all when typing. I think I'll go with either AT or yeti in this case. Now I don't know what to chose between these 2.. warmer voice or bright and crisp? I will not be buying a seperate stand just yet by the way neither will i buy a shock mount yet. I want to see if a mic and a popfilter alone can suit my needs.
Between these mics what can you suggest me ?

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
The two really are very close in audio and a preference there is subjective. You'd be best of trying out both and seeing which one you prefer. The 2020 is better at ranges outside of human voice though so if you plan on doing any instrument work that'd be your best bet. But if you're just going to talk into it either will really be fine.
I'd take whatever is on sale.

As for the pop filter, just get anything not designed to fit on a boom arm. You'll need to clamp on to a flat plate (yeti) or . . . euhm, get a windscreen for the AT2020.
While there is a difference in pop filters (windscreen, metal/nylon, single/double, quality), it's primary function of making sure the air exhausted by you doesn't excite the diaphragm (as well as possible corrosion protection from spittle) is performed by the cheapest of pop filters.

Solution

Brudarion

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
So are these mic's equal then for voice work? I don't play any instruments so we can take that out of the picture. Judging by voice alone, I want the best quality around this price range :) any of those 2 stick out for voice alone? Also can you name me a few good pop filters for these as I will get lost into a sea of pop filters with all good ratings and I wouldn't be able to chose again. I did come on this forum to get advice from knowledgeable people after all. :)