Microphone Won't Work (Realtek, MSI Z87-G41)

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Hi all, my microphone does not seem to work, I never tried before so I don't know if this is a problem since I bought the motherboard. I have the MSI Z87-G41. I've been googling forever and I can't seem to figure it out.

Basically, it detects that the microphone is connected, it just won't show it work (green bars). I've made it active, I've unplugged my 5.1 system and tried, I've reinstalled drivers, etc. Is my only solution at this point to get a sound card or a USB microphone chip thing? Is the TV interfering? When it's off it makes no difference. I'm lost for solutions. Speakers work just fine btw.

Thanks guys.

Specs:
Win7
Intel G3258
MSI Z87-G41
R9 270x
Some old set of 5.1 logitech speakers
3x syncmaster 2243, 1x 46" samsung TV

Solution
I ran into a similar problem when I installed my Blue Yeti mic.

I then right clicked the speaker icon on my taskbar, clicked on Sounds, and noticed in the Recording tab that my Blue yeti wasn't listed. It was listed in the Playback tab for my speakers though.

Once I saw that, I turned on my speakers and I had no sound coming from them, I had sound before the Blue yeti install.

For whatever reason, the microphone install messed up how things got designated in the Sounds and I just had to go through and make 2 changes: put my speakers as the default device in the Playback tab and make my Blue Yeti mic my default device in the Recordings tab.

Hope this works for you....

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

I can confirm when I'm done work but I believe there are 2 entries, one says "Realtek High Definition Audio" and one was just "High Definition Audio Device".

You can try disabling one, then the other. They may be conflicting.

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

I tried that, to no avail. All it did was deactivate audio entirely if I got rid of either.

There have been several driver updates for the MSI Z87-G41 in 2017. I would download the On-Board Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers, Intel System & Chipset Drivers and the Intel USB 3.0 Driver. Most, like the on-board audio drivers have just been updated in early 2017. If you did not download these drivers yourself, they will not be on your Windows 7 OS.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-G41-PC-Mate#down-driver&Win7%2064

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Thank you for your help, I'll try this tonight and update accordingly.

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Update, absolutely no difference. Still back where I started.

Blackink

Distinguished
I ran into a similar problem when I installed my Blue Yeti mic.

I then right clicked the speaker icon on my taskbar, clicked on Sounds, and noticed in the Recording tab that my Blue yeti wasn't listed. It was listed in the Playback tab for my speakers though.

Once I saw that, I turned on my speakers and I had no sound coming from them, I had sound before the Blue yeti install.

For whatever reason, the microphone install messed up how things got designated in the Sounds and I just had to go through and make 2 changes: put my speakers as the default device in the Playback tab and make my Blue Yeti mic my default device in the Recordings tab.

Hope this works for you....

Solution

ahzazmaq

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Hi,
I even disabled and deleted stuff until just my mic was in recording tab and just speakers in playback and it made zero difference.