Question Microphones are too quiet only on my PC regardless of whether i connect them with jacks or USB

DanielC10

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
First and foremost, yes, i'm certain that my microphone volume is set at 100% from the settings

But any microphone i connect to my PC is extremely quiet ONLY on my PC (it works fine on both my phone and my PS4) and i don't know what else to try or where to ask, i tried going through pages and pages of posts on multiple sites but the answers are usually very basic like "make sure the jack is all the way in, make sure the volume is at 100% in the settings, and make sure you drivers are up to date",

Would buying a new sound card to try and fix this be a waste of money since the HS60 Pro's USB soundcard doesn't fix the problem?
Is there any cable inside the case that i should check out to make sure it's properly plugged to maybe fix this? (a friend built my PC who only does this as a hobby, so he's not a professional or anything like that)

Here's a list of what i tried doing already, any other suggestions are very welcome:

I tried reinstalling the audio drivers multiple times (i tried using the drivers that Windows installs on its own, the ones from Realtek's site, and the ones from MSI's site, the only difference between the 3 that i noticed is that the MSI ones are the only ones to automatically open the Realtek audio manager software while the other 2 don't)

I tried using both front and back connectors with 2 different jack splitters (the ones that separate the cable from 1 single cable to 2 separated cables for headphones and microphone)

I tried using the HS60 Pro's USB dongle that is used for simulated 7.1, it comes with its own software and it isn't detected by Realtek's software when i connect it that way so i assume that's supposed to be an USB sound card

I even tried connecting the microphone directly to the jack since the HS60 has a removable mic to make sure that the splitters weren't the problem

I tried adding a boost through Windows and while my voice becomes decently audible at a +20dB boost, it definitely isn't a viable solution because it adds a ton of noise since it's a boost

First and foremost, yes, i'm certain that my microphone volume is set at 100% from the settings

But any microphone i connect to my PC is extremely quiet ONLY on my PC (it works fine on both my phone and my PS4) and i don't know what else to try or where to ask, i tried going through pages and pages of posts on multiple sites but the answers are usually very basic like "make sure the jack is all the way in, make sure the volume is at 100% in the settings, and make sure you drivers are up to date",

Would buying a new sound card to try and fix this be a waste of money since the HS60 Pro's USB soundcard doesn't fix the problem?
Is there any cable inside the case that i should check out to make sure it's properly plugged to maybe fix this? (a friend built my PC who only does this as a hobby, so he's not a professional or anything like that)

Here's a list of what i tried doing already, any other suggestions are very welcome:

I tried reinstalling the audio drivers multiple times (i tried using the drivers that Windows installs on its own, the ones from Realtek's site, and the ones from MSI's site, the only difference between the 3 that i noticed is that the MSI ones are the only ones to automatically open the Realtek audio manager software while the other 2 don't)

I tried using both front and back connectors with 2 different jack splitters (the ones that separate the cable from 1 single cable to 2 separated cables for headphones and microphone)

I tried using the HS60 Pro's USB dongle that is used for simulated 7.1, it comes with its own software and it isn't detected by Realtek's software when i connect it that way so i assume that's supposed to be an USB sound card

I even tried connecting the microphone directly to the jack since the HS60 has a removable mic to make sure that the splitters weren't the problem

I tried adding a boost through Windows and while my voice becomes decently audible at a +20dB boost, it definitely isn't a viable solution because it adds a ton of noise since it's a boost
I'd recommend following a tutorial on voicemeeter to see if that helps, since it has a noise gate named audibility as well.

DanielC10

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
I'd recommend following a tutorial on voicemeeter to see if that helps, since it has a noise gate named audibility as well.
I tried downloading Voicemeeter and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work no matter how i edit it

But i'm currently using Equalizer APO to give the mic a 17dB boost and it seems to be a tiny bit better and less noisy than when i do it from Windows, but i still don't consider it a solution, rather a workaround

EDIT: a thing that i just noticed which may or may not be related to my issue is that for whatever reason all the audio output somehow bleeds through my mic a little even if i have my headsets completely muted
Like if i start a recording and mute my headset while i'm playing some music, i will faintly hear it once i go and hear the recording even though i couldn't even hear it while recording audio

Last edited: