[SOLVED] Microsd card stops writing files after a while (when computer is locked)

iceblitzed

Distinguished
I have an unusual problem. I bought a Samsung 256GB EVO Plus Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC U3 microsd card. My laptop has a microsd card slot reader (not the full size slot so no adapter is used). My laptop is an Asus ZenBook UX434IQ_Q407IQ with Windows 10 Home - Version 21H2 - OS build 19044.1348. I am using three software to test the integrity and reliability of the microsd card. These programs are h2testw v. 1.4 , fakeflashtest v. 1.1.2 , and DiskTestTools v. 1.3. These software work by writing files (such as 1gb test files) and then tries to read the files back to see if the microsd card is working. The process takes a long time so I lock my computer and come back to it. Sometimes when I come back to the computer and enter my password (since I locked the computer), these programs stop working and produce an error. The writing of the "test" files stops working and I have to restart the program again. I get a notification on the lower right corner of the computer that seems that the microsd card disconnected itself.

Basically I want the microsd card to continue writing test files until it is full and not stop working or disconnect automatically by itself.

EDIT: Here is an error message I get while using DiskTestTools:
Error writing to file "D:\QuickDiskTestGeneratedData\TestDataFile00180":
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

Last edited:
Solution
First thought I always have: open Control Panel Device Manager and look at Properties for any devices involved in microsd card. Look at Power Management tab and ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked. Second thought: examine all power plan settings which may shut off various components when computer is locked. Third thought: maybe the microsd card is just overheating resulting in a disconnect (may not be prepared for such continuous usage).
First thought I always have: open Control Panel Device Manager and look at Properties for any devices involved in microsd card. Look at Power Management tab and ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked. Second thought: examine all power plan settings which may shut off various components when computer is locked. Third thought: maybe the microsd card is just overheating resulting in a disconnect (may not be prepared for such continuous usage).

Solution

iceblitzed

Distinguished

I think that fixed the issue possibly. I turned off power management for usb devices in device manager. However, when the computer is writing files to the microsd card when the computer is locked, the speed gets lower. After signing into computer again, the speed is normal.

Last edited:
Yes, if you look at the Control Panel Power Options Advanced Settings, you will see that in Safe Mode there are NO Processor Power Management settings. This is confirmation that the Processor may be throttled by those settings there when in the non-safe normal mode and why the user has to go through the inconvenience of checking every setting. It is sad that microsoft is so obsessed with "helping" laptop users save power and extending their battery life that they feel its "best" to just turn parts of your laptop off and throttle other parts, without clearly telling the user that they're doing that. Anyway at least you'll be able to finish checking your cards the way you originally wanted.

TRENDING THREADS