Microsemi Makes an SSD With Super Tough SATA Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Toms, would you guys be willing to test this "No signal degradation" they are talking about. I find it to be hogwash really.

Buy a brand new SSD, do your test like you do, then have staff and people just sit there removing the cables over and over, but not to break it. After 10k or 20k times, run the tests again. I think it would be a great test!

A great idea!

I have a thread in THG about the SATA connector to my OCZ Agility 3 coming off or loosening by themselves.

Do I get credit? Yet another idea I've had, that someone else ran with.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]Am I the only one thinking this? its already an SSD, i.e. no moving parts, so how was it affected by vibration before?[/citation]
Solid State devices are not immune to shock and vibration. The IC packaging could go bad given enough G-shock to the hardware. The esata connector could fall off after some very serious vibration. And the friction between the connector's gold contact could wear out from vibration. Obviously not something you'd see in everyday use. But anything could happen for military purposes.

oddioguy45

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I think people are missing the point that this is designed for use in military or high reliability applications not joe schmo surfing the web and playing games.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
it's not that people are always plugging sata cables.... er... usually it stays connected to the same cable for a very large amount of time. not like usb devices.
THAT I would absolutely love! rugged usb connectors. I've broken so many that I've lost count.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]victorious 3930k[/nom]Why don't you show us the SATA connector then?[/citation]

Exactly why I wrote, "Meh" earlier. Let's tout how great our SATA connector is...but then hide it because we know you'd want to see it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Alright, let's see if it really lives up to it's name. Tomshardware, you got a blender, steamroller, bucket of salt with afish-less aquarium, a shotgun and a hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.