Microsoft’s ‘View Mixed Reality’ Offers AR-Like Features For Windows PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
A mixed reality OS is an interesting idea. I wonder if it will be gimmicky or if it will allow useful features like placing computing items on your virtual desk. I imagine like hot buttons where you move your hand over them and they are like action shortcuts for what is happening on your PC. Like, tapping your desk calendar to bring up the Outlook calendar, or a pen holder to bring up OneNote and being able to expand those off the screen for basic uses like jotting a note. Ultimately an IronMan like holo display would be awesome to project with AR hardware.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-hG6kbQ6s

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm getting deja vu, here. About 10 years ago, a friend showed me a Windows tablet he just got. Then, Apple launched the iPad and the whole tablet market blew up.

MS might be first to holographic computing, but I think it won't be until Apple does it that the general public will finally "get" it.

That's not to say MS shouldn't try, but I somehow feel they're going to do a lot of dabbling and even real innovation, but still won't really be the ones to reap most of the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.