Microsoft’s Future Is All About 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

VR has no future, a lot of people get headache or nausea in other words it is a crap concept. 3D thing in their presentation is just bullshit. Microsoft's future is all about touch. Microsoft's future is all about ink. Microsoft's future is all about AR. Microsoft's future is all about 3D and it happens that Microsoft failed in about everything where touch, ink, AR are not a future.

there future looking bleak around here [lol] so more bloat/gimmikware '' The new version of Windows 10 embraces creativity'' is that the new smokescreen to cover The new version of Windows 10 embraces higher proprietary cloud based data collecting forced updating you do as they say not as you need or want OS??

Microsoft won folks harts with Xp lost some with vista gained it back with 7 and went down hill from there and aint getting better .. you can tell when a company gets bloated and too big for there britches when they lost all focus on what made them ..

like I say I'd have to really hate your guts to recommend win-10 to anyone . and face it 90% who stick with it is just because of gaming . if you could install, run, play any game on Linux or mac as easy as you do windows i'll bet over 1/2 would not use it anymore out side of that what does windows offer over Linux or mac and Linux is free not a crossbreed win7 upgrade that ruins your 7 and its key after that , what 30 days [got ya trapped sucker]

gaming is the only thing I see that got going anymore and that's it then it better be cloud based steam type games at that now a days old retail disk games may not even work under 10

the way Microsoft acted over 7 to trick- strong arm - sabotage them in to the win- 10 trap , I lost all trust in them - I'm glad I got retail [non oem] copies of xp - vista and 7 to reinstall all I want to legal to run my games on for years to come , out side of that good old Linux covers the rest of my everyday use's and maybe better

Most the nausea/sick issues are taken care of by high FPS and low latency. As a result, most new 3d/VR systems force 90 FPS, and fake 90 FPS by degrading image quality and making filler frames. If latency is low, nausea issues go away. 3D in its last incarnation was similar in that it made people nauseated, unless the person setting it up was smart enough to drop details enough for 60 FPS solid.

I think the big difference now, versus last time, is the dev's are now forcing you to play it their way, instead of leaving the setup to the user. Now the issues that plagued the previous 3D attempt won't be as present now.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Very few people get headaches or nausea from VR experiences that are designed well.
Moving forward with a joystick in VR gets many people sick.
Being inside a VR environment does not.

VR is definitely not a crap concept. And it's definitely not going away anytime soon.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
I know why I changed: control, I'm pretty much in control of my PC when running Linux. I dual boot my desktop and my laptop. Windows is only brought up for games (the ones that don't run under Linux) and the occasional Photoshop session.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"Microsoft’s Future Is All About 3D"
That's funny cause the UI of all of Microsoft's products keeps getting flatter.

Vista popped with 3D as they wanted to show off the new GPU composited desktop, Win7 lost some color and icons in Explorer as well as a flatter Taskbar. Then came the ultimate in square and flat UI's: Win8 & Win10. Granted Win10's dark theme for apps is a bit of an improvement, but regular desktop programs like Explorer are still glaringly white (hello eyestrain my old friend).

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
The Rift price you quote is without controllers, so it's crippled. Once you add controllers, the price is similar to the Vive.

3D design in VR is much easier than on a screen, so I expect this to catch on.

oczdude8

Distinguished

Just because windows 10 doesn't suit your needs, it doesn't mean the future of the whole company is looking bleak.

I do agree with you that right now, these VR/3D stuff seems like bloatware and gimmicks, but that's because it hasn't been fully matured; It is still in its early phases. Just like how people thought the first gen iphone was a gimmick and that having a touchscreen smart phone is useless because you only need to make phone calls with your phone. Now we cannot live without our smartphones. If you look back in history, almost everything we use on a daily basis now was met with the resistance of people thinking its useless or just a fancy toy. If companies/people succumbed to it, we would be riding our horses to work at our local blacksmith. I think you should always keep an open mind because these products/technologies may lead to the development of something you may actually enjoy a few years down the road.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

The future isn't looking bleak, you are. I haven't seen this much confusion and poor spelling in a post outside of YouTube!

G

Remember how the future was 3d tv? Except no one wanted one? This is the same thing, times 10. I want my OS to surf the web, fill out reports, do some data mining. Not 3D paint, and I'm willing to bet 99% of users are exactly like me.

If I want 3D anything, I shut off the computer and walk around.

I'm pretty certain none of those things are changing. They are obviously just marketing a new product, and adding support for it, as they think it will be a part of the future. Not that it will remove the things we currently do on our PCs.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I cannot watch anything "3d" without getting a major migraine regardless of frame rate and latency. Nor do I want to have my face boxed in so I cannot react to stimuli in the real world. Also take a look at the popularity of 3d tv's vs standard 2d. Jumping into 3d is a niche market, not a main course of financial growth.

https://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-is-now-more-dead-than-ever/

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
What a bunch of short-sighted ignoramuses. Reminds me of when my Grandpa used to say that these new-fangled VCR machines are just a gimmick. Who the hell wants to watch a TV show a 2nd time? Only a soft-headed idiot wouldn't be able to recall what they saw the first time, and soft-headed idiots aren't going to have the $600+ it costs to buy a VCR. What a GIMMICK!!

kooldj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
this is ridiculous crap, concepts like these are stressing and tiring like 3D and virtual reality....Microsoft future should be the web (which they grabbed after alot of time passed with .net core and some new stuff), integrating it with users! infact make the web the windows itself! provide them with fundamentally an intuitive and user friendly web windows framework! and make it easy darn it, its still not so easy to have a website of ur own in 2016, think about how cool it would be to have a customizable user friendly website associated with ur email and having ur admin panel!
Moreover microsoft and intel should have made things ultra small and equally powerful and efficient so like i could carry my own pc in my pocket anywhere at same cost as a desktop (like a 7" tablet). this will increase their sales of desktop components alot and ultimately windows as well, but these morons dont understand that ppl want more easiness at lower cost, not an ultra hyperblic technology chamber filled with uberly tiresome stuff. the 95% of users are not so rich and breathtaking so my suggestion will boost their profits a lot and also make our lives easier. unfortunately their mindset of applying business tactics and slow the technology to end user with limited resources and high cost is the one declining their profits.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
VR has a long way to go. No AAA games because none of the larger studios want to take a risk. I wish they would at least attempt to port some of their existing titles in (Valve - HL2 VR) Skyrim. Rumor is that there is supposed to be FO4 DLC for VR.

The web/internet has had plenty of marketing and tons of energy devoted to it. They won't stop devoting energy to it either. This is badly needed content generating stuff to help VR and 3D to finally take hold. The lack of help from MS may be a big reason 3D's last attempt failed for PC's. 3D, when properly supported worked extremely well on PC. Even in movies, if it was done well, it looked awesome. Unfortunately, it was rare that a game was properly supported, and even more rare that a movie did it properly. These tools will hopefully help alleviate the problem for PC games.

As far as your free website for everyone goes, that is what Myspace and Facebook are all about along with several other similar places.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait, so does Paint 3D actually let you create 3D objects? Or did they just totally punt on that and make it just a program for manipulating imported 3D models?

We don’t yet know if Microsoft’s HMD design supports OpenVR, OSVR, or a proprietary VR standard.
Really??? This being Microsoft, it's pretty safe to assume they support DirectVR or whatever they're calling their API. Just like graphics cards, they'll probably let anyone write a DirectVR driver for a HMD they make. And maybe someone will write an OpenVR layer that lets you use DirectVR HMDs in Steam, or maybe Steam will just do that bit for us and natively support DirectVR HMDs. But I think it's safe to say that MS will not do the work of adapting any VR or AR headsets to work outside of the MS ecosystem.

Anyway, I don't see MS dominating the AR landscape to quite the same degree as they did with PCs. And I certainly don't see them getting such huge margins on the part they do own. But I think this investment will pay off and help stem the losses from the decline and fall of what we know as Wintel.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
3D TV had a flawed implementation (low frame-rate and either have to wear glasses or view from a single spot) and not much content. For games, it added latency and dropped framerates, which is usually a deal breaker.

I still watch movies in 3D, when I can get them. My TV's motion smoother also works in 3D, which helps.

Oh? And you don't want to be able to put on some glasses and see 3D plots of your data in 3D? And walk around them?

IMO, that's where Powerpoint 3D really starts to come into its own. When you can demo product mockups in 3D and have 3D plots. Unfortunately, it'll make bad Power Point presentations that much more painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS