News Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Studio Has 120 Hz Display, Tiger Lake H35

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Why is it on AnandTech's website that the Surface LapTop Studio's Display resolution is stated as 2400 x 1600

While on Tom's Hardware, it's stated as 2460x1600?

MS usually doesn't make a mistake when it states it's resolution has a 3:2 Aspect Ratio?

Does Tom's Hardware need a correction?

EDIT:

Even "The Verge" is reporting it as 2400x1600 Display Resolution.

Did Tom's Hardware make a typo when it wrote it's specs?

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
I didn't even know the surface book was ever supposed to be a detachable.
I would just see them in stores and be confused why Microsoft put the surface branding on a crazy-overpriced laptop that has no touchscreen

What's worse is that the pointless overpriced laptop exists too, but they call it a surface laptop.

I don't know. I bought a first-gen surface pro back when I was trying to find any use case where Windows 8 was actually usable.
The ux/ui was still terrible, too bulky to be a tablet, and the "wacom" stylus was too laggy and imprecise to use the tablet for drawing. Microsoft advertised a Leatherman, I expected a Swiss Army Knife, but I received a Peltzer Bathroom Buddy.

So I don't really have any intention on ever trying another Surface product.
I'm not even really sure why Microsoft bothers with minor revisions in this product line. They aren't price competative with non-apple products, they aren't popular, and they are no longer pushing design boundaries. At least Zune actually had some things that it did better than ipod.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I bought a first-gen surface pro back when I was trying to find any use case where Windows 8 was actually usable.
If something is going to be truly useful, the product needs to have survived to it's 3rd iteration and beyond.

That's a general rule of thumb for most products.

The first 2 generations are generally experimental to some degree, it's the 3rd iteration that truly makes it interesting.

Look at Windows, Windows 3.11 was the really popular version that pushed MS' Window OS into popularity.

Same with MS Surface, it wasn't until the 3rd generation that it was truly useful.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm not ready to replace my Yoga yet, but I could see the Surface Laptop Studio as a serious option. Probably would wait for the second or third generation. I have concerns about the cooling solution in the current design and the GPU performance. Would also need to know more about those USB ports in terms of performance and power output.

I've gotten so used to drawing on an iPad and Procreate though. It would take some serious performance and flexibility to get me to return to the 2-in-1 world Microsoft is targeting. iPad + desktop PC is working great right now, although the iPad doesn't allow for any serious gaming or VR on the go. If Microsoft can bring the graphics performance, then they may have a winner. Not convinced a mobile 3050 Ti has enough performance.

Reactions: PapaCrazy

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Unlike the Surface Book (which a Microsoft representative told me the Laptop Studio will replace in the lineup)

Wait a minute... if this laptop is meant to be replacing the Surface Book then why is the screen a crappy 2400x1600 when the Surface Book's is 3000x2000 at 13" and 3240x2160? We use Surface Books extensively at work and the reason we went with them originally was because of the high quality screen. If Microsoft is discontinuing that line and supposedly replacing it with this then it needs o have the same calibre of screen. I don't care about 120Hz for Office work but I do care about resolution.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Wait a minute... if this laptop is meant to be replacing the Surface Book then why is the screen a crappy 2400x1600 when the Surface Book's is 3000x2000 at 13" and 3240x2160? We use Surface Books extensively at work and the reason we went with them originally was because of the high quality screen. If Microsoft is discontinuing that line and supposedly replacing it with this then it needs o have the same calibre of screen. I don't care about 120Hz for Office work but I do care about resolution.
What is it about the resolution that is so critical to your work?

What DPI font scaling do you use?

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I'm not ready to replace my Yoga yet, but I could see the Surface Laptop Studio as a serious option. Probably would wait for the second or third generation. I have concerns about the cooling solution in the current design and the GPU performance. Would also need to know more about those USB ports in terms of performance and power output.

I've gotten so used to drawing on an iPad and Procreate though. It would take some serious performance and flexibility to get me to return to the 2-in-1 world Microsoft is targeting. iPad + desktop PC is working great right now, although the iPad doesn't allow for any serious gaming or VR on the go. If Microsoft can bring the graphics performance, then they may have a winner. Not convinced a mobile 3050 Ti has enough performance.

Same sentiment here. I've began to use the iPad for most raw sketch work, then import to apps on PC to integrate into projects or finalize. I would love to have a PC laptop/tablet that could serve double duty as an art pad/note-taking device, but also would have the horsepower to chug through video and animation renders... and have a good keyboard. The ultimate content creation device. Unfortunately, due to thermal limitations combined with poor choice in CPU this does not fit the bill of being a workhorse. Which is a real shame, because with an AMD CPU (with the same thermal envelop) this could have served those dual purposes perfectly. Beyond CPU, my only reservation is having keyboard inputs covered in pen mode, as this makes shortcuts impossible. I know MS thinks the dial is a replacement for the keyboard, but it really isn't.

Reactions: bigdragon

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Why would MS go with Intel's power hungry and inferior CPU, over AMD's, is beyond me. It's a laptop, it runs off a battery. Power usage is very important. I was hoping to buy the new surface. Now I have to look elsewhere. Are people working on MS on crack?