Question Microsoft Account and Windows activation key

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
So the motherboard on my old PC died and rebuilt the PC. Used old hard drive with old Windows installation and it eventually came up saying I need to reactivate. At one point in the past I did tie my Windows install to my Microsoft account. Problem is, I logged into the same account on my laptop and it apparently tied my laptop Windows key to my account now. I reactivated Windows on my PC but had to reactivate with my the key tied to my laptop since that's all that came up. Do you have to create an individual Microsoft account for each individual machine that you have?! Is my laptop going to cry that it's not activated next time I start using it because I've used that activation key on my PC? Sheesh what a nightmare.

USAFRet

Titan
So the motherboard on my old PC died and rebuilt the PC. Used old hard drive with old Windows installation and it eventually came up saying I need to reactivate. At one point in the past I did tie my Windows install to my Microsoft account. Problem is, I logged into the same account on my laptop and it apparently tied my laptop Windows key to my account now. I reactivated Windows on my PC but had to reactivate with my the key tied to my laptop since that's all that came up. Do you have to create an individual Microsoft account for each individual machine that you have?! Is my laptop going to cry that it's not activated next time I start using it because I've used that activation key on my PC? Sheesh what a nightmare.
Was the old PC listed in your Microsoft account?

A MS account can have multiple systems and licenses attached to it. Mine does.

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Was the old PC listed in your Microsoft account?

A MS account can have multiple systems and licenses attached to it. Mine does.

It was not, but I'm sure I tied my old PC to the account. When I went to reactivate on my PC, only my laptop was listed and I just used that. I can't say your link helps me much as it's already activated but I need to know if I should attempt something else to make sure Windows is fully activated on both my PC and Laptop.

skizzo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
Ok well I fired up my laptop, activation screen in there saying Windows activated with digital license and same on my PC. I guess I should just hope it stays this way.