News Microsoft Account to local account conversion guide erased from official Windows 11 guide — instructions redacted earlier this week

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
tbh this type of behavior should be illegal.

You shouldn't be sticking with Windows if that is really how you feel. It's their operating system, they own it,(They also happen to be the owner of their own website) and there's no reason for it to be illegal for them to treat what they own as they see fit.

Linux numbers are still rising, sadly though they aren't rising fast enough for this type of chicanery from Microsoft. Microsoft abuses its customers because its customers have proven to be willing to accept the abuse.

To be fair, this small change is only a website change. But it clearly indicates that more battering is going to take place against Windows users. Everybody can cry all they want, Microsoft is not done clobbering.

Last edited:

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
I don't feel comfortable signing in with a Microsoft for multiple reasons

Getting past the absurdity of being forced to use an online login to access a personal desktop computer

I don't trust that Microsoft won't change the account EULA at a whim to allow them to harvest any data they want for AI training.

...and what if, theoretically, Microsoft were to ban your account in error? In such a scenario, you could lose access to your own files because you can't sign in to your own computer.

I don't feel comfortable signing in with a Microsoft for multiple reasons

Getting past the absurdity of being forced to use an online login to access a personal desktop computer

I don't trust that Microsoft won't change the account EULA at a whim to allow them to harvest any data they want for AI training.

...and what if, theoretically, Microsoft were to ban your account in error? In such a scenario, you could lose access to your own files because you can't sign in to your own computer.
Just disconnect your PC from internet.. and see. You will be able sign in just fine..
Historically I have always used a local account.. but have been testing it with a MS account (mainly just to get my Win 11 key linked to my account)..
I decline all their optional crap.. extended logging... location... bing... etc... DOnt need any of it and tbh.. cant really notice any problem (or benefit) of having a MS account beyond what I said (for me).. so may go back to local.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
This OS packed with the worst blend of obsolete crap code, deepest lack of perfectionism and terrible unchanged technical design from the early 80s… and now that. Ok that’s dead.

Reactions: Rabohinf

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Microsoft don't ban accounts. They don't even bother to enforce anti-piracy measures for Win 11, why would they ban your account?

If you had a ban, you'd probably be unable to access their forum and parts of their help system or error reporting. But even denying you customer service would be against the law.

Your PC and the OS you installed is functional regardless of how you use (or don't use) the MS account.
It doesn't even do anything if you decline all the offers. It certainly could do things, like sync across multiple devices but that's kinda useful.
Of course, there is every chance your usage statistics or data would be harvested.

I too wish Microsoft would ah heck off with user accounts on HOME PCs that have a single user anyway.
I'm not in a library, i don't need personal folders and i'm not interested in their ecosystem nor do i want Win 11 to connect to my phone, but they are deaf to all that.
And i do understand that they will not design a separate OS just for use cases like this. They design a behemoth, "one size fits all" system, and that's how it goes.

I don't really get why 11 gets this much hate since it's actually a good OS with some facepalm flaws, but that's Windows...

For anyone wishing to force Microsoft to not harvest or send telemetry, try Windows 10 Firewall Control from sphinx-soft (works on 11 too despite the name), or simplewall (open source).
It's not simple to define all the inbound and outbound rules, but you can certainly deny traffic over your connection unless you know what it is and actually want it. System connections require a paid version of WFirewallControl, but it's not expensive.

In addition to targetting Microsoft, such firewall tools will also allow you to keep potential malware out of your hair, block applications from phoning home or force block updates (with limits though).

techfreak

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I just hope Microsoft realize that if down the road, somehow Windows 11 cannot
install using local account.
How are users able to install drivers especially for newer hardware like LAN or WIFI?

This is where local account comes in, at least you can install the Chipset etc. drivers first.
Connect to the internet for Windows update and let Windows patch whatever it needed.
I just feel it's a dumb move to emphasis MS online account during installation especially
when drivers for that PC are not installed properly.

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
In the halls of M$ last week: " Why is everyone reacting so badly to Recall when Apple has something very Similar? It makes no sense why do they trust them and not us ! "

Answer from the void: Because of this very type of B$ , that's why! 🙄

* Not that Apple are much better, but you can't be surprised at your reception when your own actions prove/reinforce the existing perception.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
* Not that Apple are much better, but you can't be surprised at your reception when your own actions prove/reinforce the existing perception.
Apple is at least very upfront about being a company up it's own ass, and with well designed and usually trouble free products. You know what you're getting and what the perks and limitations are.

Microsoft is held together by trouble and ill communication between their departments.
11 is good though. People can complain but i've used all Windows and 11 or 7 take the crown.

The one fair complaint is that once in a while Microsoft decides how YOU are going to use Windows, and your own thoughts or opinions can go hang.
They're absolute idiots when they do this. Eventually they either give up or it ends up not mattering as much as they thought.

But anyway, Apple is much more consistent and reliable, for better or worse.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Just disconnect your PC from internet.. and see. You will be able sign in just fine..
Historically I have always used a local account.. but have been testing it with a MS account (mainly just to get my Win 11 key linked to my account)..
I decline all their optional crap.. extended logging... location... bing... etc... DOnt need any of it and tbh.. cant really notice any problem (or benefit) of having a MS account beyond what I said (for me).. so may go back to local.
With my level of distrust in Microsoft at this point, I can't even trust that these settings are working as expected. And are there other data collected that's not linked to an option, but it's on the EULA? Think about it, they just removed the documentation for a feature still enabled in their software, to make it harder for the user to find it, and eventually give up on their privacy in favor of an online account. Of course it won't be problematic to enter Windows while offline, but that's not the issue.

With my level of distrust in Microsoft at this point, I can't even trust that these settings are working as expected. And are there other data collected that's not linked to an option, but it's on the EULA? Think about it, they just removed the documentation for a feature still enabled in their software, to make it harder for the user to find it, and eventually give up on their privacy in favor of an online account. Of course it won't be problematic to enter Windows while offline, but that's not the issue.
If you distrust them that much... you really think a local account will protect you from snooping on all your online activities?
Its not that I trust Microsoft.. I trust all the hackers desperate to bring Microsoft down.. so if they drop the ball on it.. I really expect people would find out and call it out from the rooftops with glee.. So with so many eyes on Microsoft.. I rest a little easier.

felyyy

Honorable
Oct 22, 2018

This statement was true a couple months ago.
However, Microsoft applied changes and it was not possible to get through the "Welcome to Windows 11" Experience without entering a Microsoft Account.
You can kick the Microsoft Account out of the OS after the first installation, but still. The first installation forces you to (create and) login with a Microsoft Account.
This is especially tiresome if you want to sell e.g. a notebook on ebay and the other person wants to check for themselves if the correct hardware is really in the notebook. In that case, you will need to perform the start up of Windows 11 either with the personal Microsoft Account from the seller, or your personal Microsoft Account.

At least on Apple devices, you can skip everything in the startup.

This statement was true a couple months ago.
However, Microsoft applied changes and it was not possible to get through the "Welcome to Windows 11" Experience without entering a Microsoft Account.
you missed the context of my reply.. I was replying this this statement (which was quoted in my reply)

"Getting past the absurdity of being forced to use an online login to access a personal desktop computer"

So we not talking about the initial sign in when installing new... he talking about signing in to an online process to access his PC... and my reply was that by disconnecting when signing in.. its not an online process... it caches what it needs to and so acts like a offline login (i.e. you dont have to worry about internet access being avail.. or MS services being down etc).

Latest posts