News Microsoft Admits Pushing Windows 11 Upgrade Offers to Ineligible PCs

wbfox

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Microsoft has admitted that ineligible devices were being offered Windows 11 upgrades. Those that accepted the upgrade invite couldn’t complete the process.

Microsoft Admits Pushing Windows 11 Upgrade Offers to Ineligible PCs : Read more
Hold on there, are you telling me that Microsoft capriciously EoL'd a massive chunk of desktop hardware for no reason? I mean they are a software company. Why would they cut off all of that mostly just fine hardware? It's like they were directly working with someone at the time that was in desperate need of a massive sales boost and had an angle Microsoft could use, but why? Not like Windows 11 has ads in it or tracks everything you do Na, MS wouldn't do that and we know Intel is above such things. I didn't mention Intel earlier? Oops. AMD had to kill off all the non-pro Threadripper cpus and only sell their gpus to crypto miners so that they would remain on the same level of sleeze once they found out they had been left out of the new cool club.

Reactions: Sluggotg

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I have many, many of my old computers. Some back to DOS/Win3.1. I don't expect support on those. I also have 6, i7 machines, (Skylakes, Haswells etc) running Windows 10Pro. Microsoft is trying to force us to throw out all that perfectly good hardware, (these machines have a 2080, 2 have 1080s, 2 have 980tis and one is using a 1660Super). The work great and play great.
I have multiple new builds based on Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. They all are Win10Pro. One of them will be Win11Pro. Microsoft heavily pushes, "Switch to the Dark Side.. Oh wait, I meant Switch to Windows 11". I am not impressed. I have always bought Legit copies of Microsoft Products. They should learn not to punish honest customers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Hold on there, are you telling me that Microsoft capriciously EoL'd a massive chunk of desktop hardware for no reason? I mean they are a software company. Why would they cut off all of that mostly just fine hardware? It's like they were directly working with someone at the time that was in desperate need of a massive sales boost and had an angle Microsoft could use, but why? Not like Windows 11 has ads in it or tracks everything you do Na, MS wouldn't do that and we know Intel is above such things. I didn't mention Intel earlier? Oops. AMD had to kill off all the non-pro Threadripper cpus and only sell their gpus to crypto miners so that they would remain on the same level of sleeze once they found out they had been left out of the new cool club.

this is the same thing they did with windows vista. you may or may not recall but anything and everything ran win xp for a long time. then vista came out and all of a sudden 95% of the world's pc's were all of a sudden "not good enough". i wondered aloud back then what massive kickbacks they got from the OEM brands for that. just the same as you are wondering now.

there is no real world reason for what they are doing other than forcing people to upgrade for literally no advantage vs what they already have. so i ponder aloud yet again the same thing you are saying. just how much are they getting in kickbacks to make most of the world's pc's all of a sudden not good enough for no real world valid reason??

Of course Microsoft “accidentally” putting that upgrade out, could that be a test run for if the economy goes south and they don’t feel enough people have newer systems, would they then say oh we patched some things and let it out to 6th and 7th generation Intel cpus for example just to get people on it to sell more services etc.

criticaloftom

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
..."They should learn not to punish honest customers. "
No an honest customer should be honest with themselves and honestly not put up with a company that fails to learn from it's many costly mistakes like anti competative behaviour.
It's quite obvious microsoft has chosen it's own obselescence and the only thing holding back the market is this 'industry standard' mentality.
Switch to linux and get actual change or keep thinking the sociopathic monolith will suddenly grow a heart; we all know what you will choose.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
With computer market down... Microsoft will have to let install windows 11 on older computers. Come on Microsoft let me install on the xeon potato I have.

I have many, many of my old computers. Some back to DOS/Win3.1. I don't expect support on those. I also have 6, i7 machines, (Skylakes, Haswells etc) running Windows 10Pro. Microsoft is trying to force us to throw out all that perfectly good hardware, (these machines have a 2080, 2 have 1080s, 2 have 980tis and one is using a 1660Super). The work great and play great.
I have multiple new builds based on Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. They all are Win10Pro. One of them will be Win11Pro. Microsoft heavily pushes, "Switch to the Dark Side.. Oh wait, I meant Switch to Windows 11". I am not impressed. I have always bought Legit copies of Microsoft Products. They should learn not to punish honest customers.

While I get MS has to have some standards in regards to hardware requirements for new OSes but like the Vista debacle Windows 11 is a little to restrictive on the PC's it leaves out of the fold. I feel like MS would have been better served just choosing architectures that are 10 years old or less roughly. For AMD go with a Bulldozer or maybe Phenom II and Intel go with Core gen 2 or even gen 1 as these PCs would still be fine for most office work and in the case on Intel, still capable of gaming at reasonable frame rates. I would know I just upgraded from a Ivy-bridge based Xeon that ran a rtx 2080 Ti with solid FPS and my wife was still on a i7 970 for desktop til she got my old CPU/GPU platform...her AM5/RTX 4090 build is coming in April. Point being despite upgrading...these 'old' CPUs are still quite capable for a lot more than most folks realize even in gaming.

I think it is obvious to most 'informed' users on Toms that Windows 11 requirements are a move by Microsoft to force PC and component sales. Its planned obsolescence that is less in your face about it than in mobile phones yet much worse than we are use to in the PC space. Software and hardware companies in general have been testing what they can get away with a lot as of late. Whether its the pricing or naming of GPUs (RTX 4080 12GB axed after outrage, GPU pricing in general, price to performance dropping, etc), software devs like Filmora trying to void lifetime licenses (they did reverse course after backlash), or MS trying to axe as much hardware as possible from their user base...it's a trend that is hard to miss if your paying any real attention to the PC space. Only online user outrage and voting with your dollars are the avenues I see that any of us have and in the case of voting with your dollars...even that can be difficult particularly in the GPU space where we have so few players to choose from and where companies like Nvidia have such a lead in features, performance and driver cadence, even at cheaper prices it can be difficult to justify going AMD or Intel for example.

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
If someone currently has a fully working prebuilt (OEM) Win 10 system, they are not buying a whole new one just for Win 11.

I respect where your coming from even if I don't wholly agree. Sadly there are users exactly like that. If their PC is can't run Windows 11 there must be something wrong with it. I have plenty of family members and friends I can think of that have exactly that type mentality. They tend to be the kind of users that have never visited a site like Toms, built a PC or even upgraded one... MS and OEMs know this. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

USAFRet

Titan
I respect where your coming from even if I don't wholly agree. Sadly there are users exactly like that. If their PC is can't run Windows 11 there must be something wrong with it. I have plenty of family members and friends I can think of that have exactly that type mentality. They tend to be the kind of users that have never visited a site like Toms, built a PC or even upgraded one... MS and OEMs know this. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
And I know a LOT of people that have no idea what "OS" is in their system, or even what an OS is.

This isn't the Cult of iPhone.

Yes, apparently we shall agree to disagree.

Reactions: atomicWAR
D

Deleted member 14196

Cult of iPhone 📱 😅

So what about it! Them’s fightin’ words 😀

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Just in case some of you have forgotten, a few months or so ago MS "accidentally" released a Windows 11 upgrade that went ahead and updated PCs that do not meet the upgrade criteria proving, without meaning to, that the upgrade requirements are what we all know they are, pure BS .

D

Deleted member 14196

Just in case some of you have forgotten, a few months or so ago MS "accidentally" released a Windows 11 upgrade that went ahead and updated PCs that do not meet the upgrade criteria proving, without meaning to, that the upgrade requirements are what we all know they are, pure BS .
No. Someone was stupid with the update installer. It’s probably configurable in code, and somebody screwed up.

I know some of the people that got those updates and it break their system. They had to reinstall Windows 10.