Microsoft and Intel Teaming Up, Plotting to Take Down Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnemesh

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I will believe this when I see it! Microsoft coming THREE YEARS late to the tablet game and then expecting to dethrone the number one player? Yah, right! Oh, and the REAL Windows 8 tablets...the ones with Intel chips? Dont expect to see them priced less than $800! Yes, thats right, they will be MORE expensive than the uber expensive iPads! The ARM tablets will sell for less, but only run "Metro" apps. FAIL! FAIL! and, oh yes, FAIL!

Good luck hunting for a new job Ballmer!

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I'm curious as how you came to your assessment of Apple's strategy. Few people would say a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro look pretty (or are nice looking) but they perform amazingly well. This conflicts with your assessment.[/citation]
Apple is huge in to marketing. One of the biggest marketing strategies is to be different. It sure seems to me that Apple has always wanted to find a way to be different, which is why they have tried the PowerPC in the past, even though it was inferior.

If your product is built with the same components of a competitor, people will shop around and get the most for their money. Not having the same components helps them not have to compete.

I'm not saying they can have a lot slower CPU, but it doesn't have to be a match either, as the UI is what people notice for most daily uses.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Apple is huge in to marketing. One of the biggest marketing strategies is to be different. It sure seems to me that Apple has always wanted to find a way to be different, which is why they have tried the PowerPC in the past, even though it was inferior.If your product is built with the same components of a competitor, people will shop around and get the most for their money. Not having the same components helps them not have to compete.I'm not saying they can have a lot slower CPU, but it doesn't have to be a match either, as the UI is what people notice for most daily uses.[/citation]
I understand your point but continuing to use the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro as reference it doesn't add up.
The both perform very well.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I understand your point but continuing to use the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro as reference it doesn't add up.The both perform very well.[/citation]
I didn't say they didn't perform well. I only said they don't have to perform as well.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Problem I see is the apple fan boys never cared what was a better deal so offering them something better and cheaper doesn't necessarily mean they'll even care.

[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Problem I see is the apple fan boys never cared what was a better deal so offering them something better and cheaper doesn't necessarily mean they'll even care.[/citation]
They already have those users as customers, it's the new customer they are seeking.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Less talk, more action!

Windows 8 is much too slow on typical tablet hardware than other tablet OSes and its much broader capabilities are not being focused as a selling point. Instead Microsoft decided to develop Metro which is nothing but a desperate attempt to make money with an Apple-like store.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"It needs to "JUST WORK". Windows 8 I think has a good chance of bridging the gap. But IOS has it nailed right".

Close to 30% of websites can't be navigated with Apple's iPad and iPhones due to Apple's arrogant lack of flash and java support. You call that getting it right? I agree with you however about Android. It is about open standards and not lockyouin devices like those being put out by Apple, even if they sport the Samsung made hyped retina display with its very few advantages.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Problem I see is the apple fan boys never cared what was a better deal so offering them something better and cheaper doesn't necessarily mean they'll even care.[/citation]
Well, I'm not an brand fan-person, just a technocrat. Now, it depends on how you define "better". What makes a product better to me may not make it better to you. I want extreme build quality and craftsmanship with excellent, high-quality materials. I'm not a fan of plastic when metal, crystal, or glass will do. ...and I'd rather pay a premium for metal, crystal, or glass than get a cheaper product using plastic. Oh...and I take excellent care of my things but durable is at the top of my list. That's my better...is it yours?

When some people spec a laptop they'd rather have the fastest available processor and the don't care so much about the body of the laptop...it can be plastic or cardboard as long as it has a fast cpu and gpu. That wouldn't work for me. As long as I have the performance and usability I want I'd rather spend excess on build quality and materials...not additional performance. I'd rather have a slower cpu and gpu in what I define as a high-quality chassis cut from metal. See where I'm going with this? Some may read this and think "MacTard" or"iSheep" or whatever else is in fashion to say this week. ...but it could have a picture of a fighting sperm on the back of it if it fits the above description.

Plastic has its place...just not so much in the chassis of my laptops and phones. So if "better" meets this criteria and is cheaper...give me that laptop with the fighting sperm on the back of it!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]"It needs to "JUST WORK". Windows 8 I think has a good chance of bridging the gap. But IOS has it nailed right".Close to 30% of websites can't be navigated with Apple's iPad and iPhones due to Apple's arrogant lack of flash and java support. You call that getting it right? I agree with you however about Android. It is about open standards and not lockyouin devices like those being put out by Apple, even if they sport the Samsung made hyped retina display with its very few advantages.[/citation]
While I see the value in flash, if I have to use the current crop of Android devices to get to it I'll pass, I can navigate the web just fine without it.

G

Just my 2 cents (don't shoot at me :)

On the "perfomance discussions: real & percieved performance depends on the HW+OS tandem, not only on one of those 2 elements --> debating on ARM versus x86 is useless without taking the OS into account... My Windows 7 laptop (on x86 2GHz dual-core 32 bits) uses 1.4Gb of RAM just to run the OS, the Anti-virus SW and IE9 with one web site opened. It runs OK but is not top-notch performance; I would rate it "average". My iPad2 has only 1Gb of RAM and runs a 1Ghz processor; when tested side-by-side it opens web site at the same speed (and my ADSL line is not the bottleneck as it is a 10Mbps downstream).

About "people wants stuff that just works": I tend to deeply agree with that statement, at least for 95% of the buyers in the world (--> all except ourselves, Tom's readers :). My wife and friends DO NOT WANT to spend time configure, 'root', 'jailbreak' or even 'install' their devices. Like for a car, they want something you put your key in, you start and you drive. That's all. And like the car they want something that looks cool, have a choice in color, and have good enough performance to go on the road... In that area both iOS and MS are quite good, Android has still a way to go...

About 'eco-system': that where lies the biggest challenge for MS-Intel: they have no (or almost no) content and AppStore, no Music Store, no Book Store, ... and this is where Apple is making a lot of money (about 25% of all what people buy is going to Apple pockets). This is also a big incentive for people looking for a "it just works" solution. Going to a new eco-system would mean you can't find (easily) all the content you want to buy (music, film, books, apps) because the eco-system is not mature enough. And it takes years to build that one. Apple started with music (iPods) years ago and that was a quick-starter for iPhones and then iPads. Microsoft just failed with Zune (less in US but completely in the rest of the world). Obviously they will use the Windows (and XBOX ?) application/game catalog as a quick-start for W8 tablets but that will require high-end HW --> see next point.

Basic characteristics: I don't see a lot stated around a few characteristics that people do LOVE when using tablets (iPad's and some Android): very fast 'boot time' (almost instant ON including WIFI connection) and very good battery life. So far I have no idea about what a W8 tablet able to run W32 software (--> x86 CPU + at least 2Gb or RAM) will provide. Today my W7 laptop wakes-up from a stand-by stage in about 12 seconds to get to the point where the WIFI is connected again; that's 10 times slower than a tablet...

Cost: somebody mentioned a 800$+ price tag for a real W8 tablet; here again I tend to agree (to benefit from the W32 SW catalof you will need x86 CPU at 1,5GHz+, 2Gb of RAM and - often forgotten - much more flash storage to store application: probably 64Gb would be a minimum).

My pronostic: W8 tablet will start to be a success in the professional world, not the consumer world; maybe a future W9 iteration will be more acceptable on the consumer side thanks to HW improvements overtime...

Again: those are just my 2 cents!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Compared to Apple's macs with the laughable 6% market-share world wide.... Who do you think is their best friend?[/citation]
Apple is one of intel's biggest customers. Apple may have 6+% of the world market share for PCs, but that is a single company on a global scale. They are bigger than Dell.

bawss

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011

There's gonna Intel Medfield for Android.
I'm just pointing it out that Intel is going into the mobile market.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Strange. Windows XP runs alright with a P4 and 512/1GB ram. And that was with all the drivers and abstraction. Don't see why Win 8 on this stuff will be bad. Plus you have the existing windows ecosystem.

Microsoft has the Windows Store and Intel has AppUp. Hybrid models should do just fine, i can't see why tablets and phones would suffer either.

But i guess the debate won't settle till the products launch.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bawss[/nom]There's gonna Intel Medfield for Android.I'm just pointing it out that Intel is going into the mobile market.[/citation]
I know, there IS intel for android, Xolo X900 launches on the 24th.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Only thing I liked from apple was the iPhone... today you have better options, but one day it was the best!
Still no point for me and 99% of humans to get a tablet, to me is the same rubbish as touchscreen desktops, I only use touchscreen cellphones because I don't have much choice and they have very little screens!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Microsoft and Intel Teaming Up, Plotting to Take Down Apple... Good luck with that... i dont know, how windows 8 can help intel...

halcyon

Splendid
When these Windows 8 tablets hit I'll have to see one and see if it beat the iPad in all ways hands down. If it does I'd give it a shot. ...but if its only just as good...why bother when the iPads ecosystem is already here and already great? I wish them Microsoft and Intel good luck with this...they're really gonna need it.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Some people want choice, but with technology I think "Just works" is a higher priority for many people than choice. I think that may contribute to Apple's success is the sector. Android offers choice and for those that prefer that I'm sure it delivers all that they want. ...but I don't know any other single source that is doing is well as Apple, again, in the sector and I think it may have something to do with that "Just works" thing. For me? If its cool tech and easy to do what I want to do with it then I'm in. So I was willing to give Android a shot both in the form of phones and tablets. ...but I've come full circle back to what many folks here call "iCrap" because it "Just works" for me. I don't miss my Razr/Razr Maxx at all but I constantly missed my iPhone when I had the Razr/Razr Maxx...I just didn't want to admit it to myself.[/citation]
Well said good sir! And now I'm off to play WoW, because of your name. :)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]Well said good sir! And now I'm off to play WoW, because of your name.[/citation]
?? You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with WoW (World of Warcraft?). There is something in that game that shares my moniker?

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]?? You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with WoW (World of Warcraft?). There is something in that game that shares my moniker?[/citation]
Yessir! There's a character in World of WarCraft that pops up named Halycon. Not quite the same as your's, but somewhat similar. :)

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=10220/halycon

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]And both of them have consistently failed miserably to predict smartphone market shares in the past. Why should we believe them now?[/citation]
Spot on!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]lahpolzin68hao[/nom]Microsoft simply has had too many OS muck ups in the past.[/citation]
Having seen and used Windows 8...well...I just can't understand how anyone would think that that could take market share away from Android or iOS. That whole metro tile thing...they expect that to appeal to the average customer more than iOS or Android. I think it may appeal to folks that just have to run desktop apps on their tablet...but outside of that I think its just another experiment.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]make a $100-150 windows tablet that gives you office, web brosing, e-mail, angry birds..... it should be smooth like WP7 and it'll sell even better than the touchpad[/citation]
Office license (version where commercial and non-profit work is legal) $200+, Windows license $200+, money left for hardware -$250 to -$570 (plus oem discounts). At these prices, you're not even allowed to let a second person use Office either. Microsoft will have to kill their profit model for Windows RT.

I expect a flop (a la Zune) or maybe a business niche. I could also see some modest success that starts to undermines their desktop dominance, like someone saying the Office 2007 update was too small of a step in making us crappy, lets make the whole desktop experience crappy. It looks like the base UI is a desktop of someone who doesn't know how to delete icons, and NVIDIA went to the trouble of delivering 5 TFLOP graphics cards so we can have monochrome icons. LibreOffice, while not as good as MS Office (at least compared to pre 2007 versions), is a respectable product and will be available for Android and iOS later 2012. Apple already has their Office suit running on iOS. I think Microsoft is getting backed into a corner, and there's no one left to rip off for their next generation of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.