Microsoft And Samsung Settle Mobile Contract Kerfuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
One possible problem is that Samsung would have had a patent cross-licensing agreement with both Microsoft and Nokia. Once they became one, the question becomes whether Samsung has to pay both Microsoft and Nokia, and whether Microsoft pays on the Microsoft schedule or the Nokia schedule. I'm sure they both wanted the best of the two contracts.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Not about selling Windows 8x phones. Its about selling android phones since all android devices have Microsoft and Nokia intellectual property in them. Pretty much every android device you buy has $35 going to Microsoft. On the other hand, every Windows Phone device you sell does not have as much go to Microsoft and none to Google.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What Samsung doesn't want to sell mobiles with Windows 8x, I wonder why?

Because they are stupid. I know the Windows 8 phone doesn't have a big footprint in the market, but that would definitely change if more people actually gave the Windows 8 phones a try. The company I work for is dropping over 2000 Samsung Android phones because they suck, and are bringing in the Lumina 835 Windows phone. The Androids are buggy, don't work well with enterprise applications, and MDM solutions. The fact that iOS is now the market leader by a slim margin (atleast it was the other day) is showing that people are realizing the problems in the Android ecosystem, and going back to more user friendly systems. The dorks who automatically pick Android phones because they think they are cool because they can "root" their phone are really loosing ground. Needing Anti-Virus for you phone is ridiculous. Yes, there are genuinely some "expert" users who root their phone for legit reasons, but the vast majority of the users who "root" their phone have just enough knowledge about their devices to be dangerous to themselves. The fragmentation of the OSes, and carriers, etc Android is a nightmare to support in an Enterprise. My work phone is currently an iPhone and it works perfectly for everything we need. The new Windows phones that are replacing the Androids are even better yet. They are snappy, good sized screen, and have expandable storage. Not to mention, they work perfectly with ALL of our Enterprise Applications, and our MDM solution. The WinPhone ecosystem does need more applications, that's for sure. That is the ONLY area in which Windows Phone is lacking. It kicks all of the others butts in every other regard. At least from my experience in supporting over 5000 phones in our company.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yes, there are genuinely some "expert" users who root their phone for legit reasons, but the vast majority of the users who "root" their phone have just enough knowledge about their devices to be dangerous to themselves.

"HOW DO I SHOT WEB- I mean, root my phone?"

Status
Not open for further replies.