Microsoft Announces 1 TB Xbox One For $399, New Controller With 3.5mm Audio Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
Finally, I've been waiting for a wireless solution to connect my controller to my gamnig computer. I bought the controller thinking that it would connect over my Xbox 360 Bluetooth dongle. But this... this is good news! I can't wait to buy this dongle.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
If sony did it first, they should have patented the use of a 3.5mm jack in a gaming controller. Nokia did it with phones, I hated that they did but they didn't seem to cop much flak.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Would have been more impressed if it came with 1Tb at launch. in 2015, you need a lot more space with games taking up more room. My PC has over 7 tb of storage plus a 1TB SSD for the OS.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
so they aren't reducing the size of the xbox one they are just including a 1 tb hard drive and an updated controller now? if ms would have allowed people to upgrade their hard drive anyhow in a way where you didn't have to break open the console or migrate the os onto the new hard drive like a pain in the butt it is, then this wouldn't have been an issue, because people would have been able to freely upgrade their hard drives.

alextheblue

Distinguished
so they aren't reducing the size of the xbox one they are just including a 1 tb hard drive and an updated controller now? if ms would have allowed people to upgrade their hard drive anyhow in a way where you didn't have to break open the console or migrate the os onto the new hard drive like a pain in the butt it is, then this wouldn't have been an issue, because people would have been able to freely upgrade their hard drives.

Except that anyone (even non-geeks) can plug in a USB 3.0 drive to an Xbox One. Boom, instant storage upgrade and they don't have to open anything up. While I personally would have preferred upgradeable internal storage, this is actually better for the mass market. Having both as an option would have been better still, but it works well enough as-is.

Anyway, at only an extra $50 for double the storage and the new controller, it's an easy recommendation over the base model.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Also IIRC you can install full games on the external drive, take them over to a friend's house and just plug it into their console and start playing. No need for a massive install on their local system. You'd probably still need the game disc for anti-theft reasons, not certain, but it would still save you and them a lot of headache.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Except that anyone (even non-geeks) can plug in a USB 3.0 drive to an Xbox One. Boom, instant storage upgrade and they don't have to open anything up. While I personally would have preferred upgradeable internal storage, this is actually better for the mass market. Having both as an option would have been better still, but it works well enough as-is.

Anyway, at only an extra $50 for double the storage and the new controller, it's an easy recommendation over the base model.

yeah but that just adds more bulk to the already large xbox one where the ps4 is a simple slot that's pretty easy to install.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I've been using my DS3/DS4 on my PC for years now. Is this just an official component or have Xbox controllers always been tethered to the PC? Are they not bluetooth?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Can you use the DS3/DS4 on the PC wirelessly? If so, what kind of software and bluetooth dongle are you using?
Xbox 360 controllers can be connected to the PC wirelessly with an Xbox 360 wireless dongle. They have drivers directly from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.