Microsoft Announces Age of Empires Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
* Free-to-play experiences via Games for Windows – LIVE

Meh, sounds like another MMORPG where the free stuff is just bait for the premium content.

Might be interesting. Though I used to love AoE my desire to play the game has fizzled out. The Total War games are far superior as you build an empire and have direct control over battles. It requires much more thought and strategy.

Though the nice thing about AoE is that you could fire it up play for 20 minutes and win. Whereas the Total War games require weeks or months of slow progression. Especially with the time needed to plan out buildings for cities and units to produce when you have over 15 cities.

G

omg mmorts O.O I just hope it doesn't degrade into something stupid like ikariam

ShouldntHave

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]* Free-to-play experiences via Games for Windows – LIVEMeh, sounds like another MMORPG where the free stuff is just bait for the premium content.[/citation]
I interpret this more as meaning "it's free to play games once you have bought the client", not "you can DL a client for free and play", in order to keep ppl from freaking out that "now that it's MMO there's going to be a monthly fee." Could be wrong; have no idea.

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I know you have your own city and all, but it doesn't seem as if it'll be like the original games and I'm not sure I really like the cartoony style portrayed on the website... Or maybe this is just my method for not being disappointed when the game does release.

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I'm confused, the name suggests an mmorph with story line from the rts (caugh.. warcraft) but the article reads like and rts, why have a strictly online game for an rts???

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
AOE II and III were two of my favorites. Rise of Nations was awesome too. I hope it is a smart combination of RTS and MMO. I want something I can play with my friends without always having to worry about getting online at the same time. Not sure if that is possible but I hope it offers something like that.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I am a HUGE Age of Empires fan, and have played it since Age of Empires I all the way until Microsoft disbanded Ensemble Studios (sad day).
Glad to see that they are returning to the series in some form. In my opinion, the Age series was right up there with games like the Civ series and Starcraft.

I just hope the "free-to-play" doesn't turn into a "pay-to-play-if-you-want-to-actually-win"

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Free to Play Rocks. Runes of Magic is like that and I LOVE that game.
Who needs the premium content. The main game is a blast!!
Sign me up MS.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Apart from the unit cap I thought AOE was awesome. You needed way more than the alotment to conquer someone in multiplayer.

I hate the unit cap in Starcraft two, even though I don't hit it all that much.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
They should have cut a deal with Valve and brought the game to the Steam platform. It will have a lot more success than having it run on the LIVE service.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
It runs well, fairly intuitive. Maps are a bit small, and it's a little cartoony though not as much as warcraft. You can also play anywhere, just like Steam.

But don't listen to me, I have NOT been playing for a month.

kdashjl

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I have waited years for this!!!!!! This is my favorite RTS.[/citation]
me too!!!
i still play on lan with my friends aoe3

Status
Not open for further replies.