Microsoft Announces Fall Creators Update With More Tools For, You Know, Creators

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I, for one, would be happy with a Windows with fewer features. Who evens uses Edge, or even Cortana (other than for fun)? Let alone all these new gimmicks.

They should use this manpower to focus on bug squashing, really, which especially in Windows 10 Mobile would be really useful*.

And that UWP* thingy? That's sh1t. One of the "selling points" of UWP is dropping multitasking. Who would ever want that in a desktop? Sometimes it feels that Windows is going back in time, each new release has more gimmicky "features" and yet feel less powerful. No multitasking? It feels going back to Win 3.11, really.

Call it whatever you want, MS, but W10 is gearing up to be no Creator, or Power User, OS.

*Trust me here, I have a Lumia 950.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Xamarin Live Player should be very useful. As far as more consumer-oriented versions go, I for one look forward to the cross-platform connected clipboard.

I use a lot of the new features. I find that self-proclaimed "power users" will skip new features by default, and crap all over anyone that dares find them useful. I use Cortana to set notifications on my PC or phone and they act across both devices. I use "ask Cortana" on highlighted text in Edge. Ever since CU I primarily use Edge with a couple extensions, and I rarely bust out FF. If you hate new things, just don't use them. No need to get all high and mighty and piss all over everything. You can safely uninstall/disable or otherwise not use any feature that didn't ship with Windows XP for all I care.

Oh and I use a Lumia 735. My phone works great, and integrates nicely with Windows 10. I don't mind UWP on PC or phone, and the universal aspect (write once, run on all Windows form factors - and if you use Xamarin potentially non-Windows devices too) is fantastic. I hope they're working on a OneCore-based implementation of Windows on ARM that runs on smartphone form factors. Instead of just continuum, you'd be able to dock and fire up a standard desktop.

zircular

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
I totally agree about rather fixing bugs (some of which dates all the way back to XP) than adding "new" stuff.

shpankey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2017
Really enjoying win 10 myself. Also use an iMac w/ iphone 7. Definitely more stable but also much more vanilla. I spend most time on the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.