Microsoft Announces First Ever Quarterly Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
That's not too bad. The impairment hit will actually provide some tax shelter for them for the year.

Their Q3-Q4 performance will actually be the thing to watch for.

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Oh how the tables have turned so dramatically in just 20 years.[/citation]
um.... what on earth are you talking about? If you read the article it is only one division that is negative, and the OS division is 'less positive' but still making 4.6 Billion dollars... in one quarter. Just about every other department grew, including WP sales (surprising considering how many of us are waiting for WP8), and xBox consoles and Live subscriptions when a new console will be coming ~Christmas 2013 and everyone in the gaming world knows it.

G

No this quarterly report is probably only a hint of things to come. Lot's of hopes pinned on Windows 8 across all platforms. Phones,PC's, Tablets. None of which holds big promise for Microsoft or its partners.

G

windows 8 is going to screw their balance sheet after this. At least they are pretty well diversified tho, so they can bury the crappy sales that will be coming.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Reads like a 'strategic loss' only.
Accounting procedure related, not actual $$ loss.
M$ certainly does not have the profit margins that Apple can command at the moment; but in the long run my money would still be on M$, and not on someone like Apple.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
May Windows8 cause Microsoft many many more quarterly losses... I'll be a $1 they will.

At $30 a share... they are no where near Apple's $604~640 a share.

If I was an investor, I'd sell my MS stock and buy some Apple stock before the iPhone 5 hits the street.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Oh how the tables have turned so dramatically in just 20 years.[/citation]

Problem with reading comprehension? They had a record revenue of $18.06 Billion and if it weren't for the impairment charge from Aquantive they would have had roughly $5.7 Billion in profit. The company is very healthy... at least til Win8 gets here and MS sees just how un-phone a desktop really is.

My guess is that there will be a Value Pak or something similar that comes out later to add a Start menu and ditch the Metro UI. If not, well... I bought extra Win7 licenses because of Win8. I'm not going to get stuck with that crap while they figure out that it's WinME 2.0 and scurry for a solution.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
They didn't "really" make a loss this quarter.
They just realized that the 6 billion they spent for Aquantive 5 years ago are gone. Money changed hands 5 years ago, but the loss shows up in their books now.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Windows 8 is going to go down in flames and be faaaaar worse than Vista. I actually like Vista SP2 very much, I like it better than Win7 in many ways. but regardless, I've used Win8 enough to know I freaking hate it. I have so much hate for that OS that I will leterally move to a different OS should MS keep it around in Win 9. I can wait for one OS cycle before abandoning ship....but no more than that. There's no excuse for Win8 and how horrible it is, no excuse, it just sucks.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Like vista over 7? Windows7 has features that vista doesn't have. Vista functions very much like XP, with a different skin.

Actually... I'd like to see Win8 totally fail and Microsoft be so damn stupid that they continue metro into Win9... that would be funny as hell. At that point, the bottom would fall out.

I'm betting that SP1 will be released around March/April which gives the user a Metro Option and replace the Win7 style Start Menu and perhaps de-uglyfy the Win8 skin back to Win8 PR. version 8440 or at least Win7. I think 8440 skin looks great... cleaner than Win7, less detracting without the ugly metro look.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I hope they decide to keep aero and let people disable metro in Windows 8... otherwise, there is no way I'm buying it, even with the under-the-hood improvements.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
"This gives us an opportunity to bash Win 8, while MS actually made record profit, and the 'loss' was for writing down 6bn from 2007."

Of course, it is totally possible that Microsoft will see their profits drop with Win 8, but this news has nothing to do with that.

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
Win8 will be fun, nobody will be screwed into a useless interface. Strange how the hate is so trollish here. Are Apptards THAT angry that OS X is easily infected now and is also going the iOS direction completely? Seriously, Apple's pc division is NOT made for 9/10ths of users, that is why it is floating at 1/10th. They don't WANT office users to use them or... poor people.

So go tra la la ing somewhere else with your wack apptard comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.