Microsoft Announces iTunes Competitor: Xbox Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hey microsoft you're only like 10 years late to the game. I miss the old innovative microsoft that actually made a difference in the world of tech.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]"When creating Xbox Music, we started off with a simple principle — music should never be work."[/citation]

What kind of principle is that? Pure PR and Marketing, epic fail in my mind.

-IvanTO

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Won't last more than a year, and iTunes is garbage already. I buy retail music and have my own home server that has everything backed up and organized by myself, I can even FTP into it if I need a song when I'm out and about.

iTunes and this "Xbox Music" isn't anything except for a store and a waste of DRM.

Why name it "Xbox" Music anyway? Why not "Windows Music". Sounds so much more simpler and professional.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]Offering up CD quality Lossless files for less than 99cents per track & totally DRM free??didn't think so... no thanks[/citation]This isn't a service for you. It would cost a lot more if that was the case. You can still buy physical media, of course. I often do, and then transcode to WMA Lossless. This kind of service is "good enough" for most people. I hope it's better than iTunes, I imagine it will be, given what they're constructing.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
They should call this what it is. Try number 3 or maybe 4? I thought windows media player and basically all that crapware that was on my old PC was intended to do this and failed miserably.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Ohmybad[/nom]will it work with the 2 Zune HDs i own that are now paper weights??[/citation]
Doubtful. Do those go along with the Beta Max and HD DVD Player that are now door stops (or boat anchors)?

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Why name it "Xbox" Music anyway? Why not "Windows Music". Sounds so much more simpler and professional.[/citation]

Because you are suppose to use your Xbox console to stream the music. Microsoft wants us to get away from using our PCs and use their Surface Tablets, Windows Phones and/or the Xbox 360, hence Windows 8.

[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Because everyone already perceives the Zune brand as an utter failure. So instead of committing the hard work to fixing that brand, they fall back on another one. We see what you did there, MS.[/citation]
Same since Zune was not THAT bad. They did not do much to advertise the thing either.

I am not a big fan of EVERYTHING being called Xbox now either.

Yes it's bad they went with xbox.... Heck apple and Microsoft should both stay out of music... But considering the train wreck iTunes has always been, and Microsoft's massive market share advantage on real systems it makes sense. And they need to offer something for windows 8.

The reality is you're a fool to use ANY OS specific app that locks you in to using purchased media only on their platform

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Uhm anyone else find it wierd that Zune already does all that and Microsoft is claiming XBox Music is the one stop shop to do all that? I wonder what will happen to all my wonderful Zune stuff.

robmif76

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Whilst I agree iTunes is mostly kack, I like the Air Streaming functionality which lets you play music on all your Air devices in the house simultaneously while controlling everything from an iPad/iPhone. I'd like to move away completely from the Apple eco system but are there any alternatives to this?

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Just buy of off amazon, i don't see the point of this and isn't Pandora like $1 a month? I can purchase my music, go to amazon, download it, back it up, transfer to any device i want, mac, linux, windows or actually just stream it from my xbox since it connected to my PC through the network. Like others have said, it really is not that hard at all anymore to setup an FTP to have access to your tunes anywhere you are (internet connectivity a must obviously).

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Hey microsoft you're only like 10 years late to the game. I miss the old innovative microsoft that actually made a difference in the world of tech.[/citation]

Yea I miss Microsoft pre-Ballmar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.