Microsoft Announces Kinect for Windows Coming February 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Do they really expect people to buy this version for NON-commercial use when they can get the 360 version and use the same software with it for a fraction of the price?

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
The $249 price tag includes a one-year warranty as well as access to ongoing software updates for both speech and human tracking

At $249 I will choose not to be an early adopter. If anything I will pull it off my xbox and use free software tools already available for download. 249 is a sure fire way to kill a technology or drive consumers to other products. $249 will get you a 7" tablet, a portable handheld dedicated gaming system, a new Android/iPhone, a video card, and much more. Good Luck Microsoft, but no thank you.

G

I sense there will be a massive amount of flailing idiocy as people try to navigate or game once this is released for PC. The image of a disco full of people who can't dance comes to mind.

As far as gaming is concerned, it should be amusing to hear the influx of excuses as to why these players are getting their asses handed to them.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]$249......what the?[/citation]

At $2.45 I would still not be interested on this gimmick.
At $245.00 .... I would much rather get ... something else.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I'd like one. Price is too steep though. Consoles get all the love. :( Spend thousands on my computer, and games, and this is what I get.... Do they really think we won't buy games with it? What else am I gonna use it for?

so just like the controllers there is no way to just use the controller with a usb cable without buying additonal hardware. but with this there is no way to use the kinnect from your 360 on your pc officially

MS always find a way to get more money out of its sheep

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
$250 you have to be kidding me... It should be somewhere like $50 - 75 at the most. Even then I probably wouldn't buy it lol can't see me waving my hands around to game. I really don't like the wii and any motion gaming in its current state.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Errmmm.... why didn't they just allow the 360 Kinect to work on PC?It's not like you can't plug it in and use the SDK for it already.[/citation]

They pretty much gave the answer I think. People buying the Kinect for Xbox are presumed to buy at the very least 1 game for it. I think the price is a bit steep myself. I'd prefer to see the same pricing for both versions and Microsoft stepping up and recouping money on Kinect for PC games or charging $25 extra to enable Kinect for basic navigation in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
MS just does the same douchey approach that Apple uses. They can make it cheaper and easier and more open and encourage innovation and allow for choice. But telling you what you can or cant do rather than lettin you do it, means they can make more money and shut out competition and control you better. I'm done supporting that crappy model. I'll stick with my PC and whoever else maintains an open and free system.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
MS won't let existing XBOX Kinect owners to use their Kinect on PC and expect them to shell another $250 for the same thing??? And where's the software developer support??? Guaranteed to failed....

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have an Xbox without Kinect. It didn't make any sense to me at the time since there were/are no interesting games that make sufficient use of motion controls. I find it difficult to justify the price for this PC version. The voice and gesture recogniition is a nice idea, but it isn't particularly practical at the moment. I can't really see myself jumping on board with this, especially when you consider it costs more than a motherboard, and as much as decent CPU or GPU. Might be good for some people, but I can't see a lot of these moving very quickly.

yes i love the commerials now where everything supposed to work together yet they really don't

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]At $2.45 I would still not be interested on this gimmick.At $245.00 .... I would much rather get ... something else.[/citation]

You should typed the second first and the first second lol

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have heard, for bandwidth issues, kinect on the 360 is a bit gimped.
If the PC version employees at 1080 P camera, and an upgraded motion sensor (more detail than the 36o version) than I would think that this is an acceptable price.

However if they are just selling us 360 kinnect with PC software, I hope they have enough lube for the consumer's tell them to shove it.

G

way too expensive for the hardware, I currently have the 360 version hooked up to my pc which is hooked up to my 100 inch screen, nevertheless, it is still a waste of time to use voice and hand gestures.... when compared to how efficiently a mouse works

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
What they need to do is tell us WHY it costs so much. Justify it. What is it going to do? Are we talking Minority Report here or just XBOX on your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS