Microsoft Announces Two New Microsoft Surface Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Lame naming scheme aside, the details are promising in tablet terms. Need a few more details, however. No mention on life of the battery, resolution, that sort of thing. Even though I don't like tablets much, this sounds like it could be an interesting play in the market for MSFT. From a business perspective, however, I wonder if they might want to spread out their release schedule a bit. It seems they have a lot of things launching at about the same time this fall. Might be a better idea to spread it over a few weeks rather than dumping it all at once.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Thanks for the pic's and the update.[/citation]

You're welcome! :)

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Anyone else think the name "surface" is about as lame as... well, Zune?[/citation]

Remember when everyone laughed at the iPad's name? I think Surface is better than iPad.

I'm intrigued, though it sounds like the Wintel option will be pricey (ultrabook prices ... eek). I want a Windows 8 device, and I want it to be a touchscreen device. I also want it to be light so I can throw it in my purse when I travel. However, I don't know if I am ready to pay ultrabook pricing for a 10.6-inch device. Sigh...

I hope this does not share the same fate as previous projects with the 'Surface' title :)
Looking on the surface.com website it looks pretty cool! Not entirely sure it will be an iPad killer, but it is definitely packing a lot of the features we have been waiting for, and most definitively a netbook killer.

I hope that the keyboard has some flex to it... It would be rather award to have that thing hanging around when you are not using it. But I would still rather have an integrated keyboard than not.

... Anyone else confused by MS picking '70s earth-tone colors for their Win8 interface, and then using '90s bright flashy colors for the cases? Personally I would like something a little more in-between the two for both the OS and the case.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
My initial impression... Not bad Microsoft. Not bad.

I can definitely imagine myself traveling around with this, and being able to play with my indie Steam titles or emulators while on the go.

Now all we need are exact hardware specs to see what's under the hood. Price the ARM tablet at $399, and the Intel tablet at $799, and you got a sale.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I really like the touch keyboard in the case. That is a very simple yet ingenious solution for the pain virtual screen keyboards can be. Uses what someone will already have without adding another accessory to take up space and weight.

I really hope Microsoft succeeds with this as the tablet market needs some competition to keep standards up.

SirDevon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Intriguing!

These specs sound great.. But, I think I will wait for reviews on both the tablet and Win8 before I decide on one of these. :heink:

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
As far as resolution goes... they said something like "HD" for the arm unit and "Full HD" for the I5 version, I'm guessing maybe 720p and 1080p... which would be respectable. As much as I love the new iPad display, I'd probably rather buy a 1080p Full Win8 machine that also happens to be a table then a device that's basically a glorified netflix interface (with some games thrown in to alleviate the boredom).

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]notlim981[/nom]This seems more of an iClone by MS to me. Meh, thanks but no thanks.[/citation]
Yeah, because the iPad has a keyboard built into the cover, built in kickstand, USB support, HDMI support, micro-SD support and runs a Core i5 processor.

Glad you were around to point out that these were all things Microsoft stole from Apple.

[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]wait a minute, so we get a windows key but no start menu button?[/citation]
Windows key is the home button so to speak(Start Screen). Same as Windows 8 on desktop.

I am sure it will be more of a getting used to it like the start menu was when it was released.

I would still like a Start menu option, but i do not think i will get one(not counting start8 and whatnot.).

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]hey Jane please edit the article in with the video on surface.com. i might get this for my mother![/citation]
same here, my mother in law recently broke her laptop and I am letting her borrow my touch screen netbook until win8 comes out.
BTW, she loves Win8. It just took me ~30minutes to show her around and she caught on to the new interface. Compare that to the 3 hours I spend trying to teach her how to (unsuccessfully) use iTunes and that will give you an idea of how hard it is to learn... I swear, so many nerds are crybabies when it comes to interface changes, if my elderly mom in law can get use to it, then you can get use to it.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
That Lumia blue hurts my eyes. I so hope they have more easy colors to look at.
I would advise for people to wait before they make the jump so soon as other companies will be making Windows based tablets so we will likely see better pricing or perhaps even better hardware specs.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Surface Windows RT will run Nvidia Tegra 3 and Resolution is 1366*768. Another version with Windows 8 Pro will run Intel CPU instead ARM and not sure about GPU. Overall GPU will be powerful for this type of device.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]That Lumia blue hurts my eyes. I so hope they have more easy colors to look at.I would advise for people to wait before they make the jump so soon as other companies will be making Windows based tablets so we will likely see better pricing or perhaps even better hardware specs.[/citation]
yes, they come in black, white, and red for those of us who like normal colors, then there is this God awful blue and pink.
Nobody is jumping to this as it is not released yet. This is merely a unveiling, it will be released this fall when Win8 is released (along with all the other win8 tablets which ought to be pretty cool)

Status
Not open for further replies.