News Microsoft Announces Windows 365 Cloud OS

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
And what do they mean when they say you can scale up processing power? I have some FPGA low-level sim jobs where I'd be very interested in that.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
Businesses also won't have to configure hardware devices per user anymore.

Marketing words always over the top. When you are in enterprise, you will face new challanges such as vulnerabilities assessment, audit, connectivity, security audit, monitoring integration, ticketing and so on. Many services promises but at the end they are very limited in terms of integration

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
I’m sorry, but “Cloud OS”? It’s just a VM For goodness’ sake!
It's a VM like IBM's old VM/CMS: you use the VM just like a stand-alone computer, with what looks like your own operating system (you can boot non-IBM operating systems in a VM as long as they can work with the emulated hardware), with your personal console on a terminal. So if done correctly the PC specs (for use as a terminal) are fairly minimal.

Just had another thought: isn't this sort of like what Citrix was providing for many years? Ah yes, and didn't Citrix recently go out of business? "Thin clients" ftw. Hmmmm?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Why are people reacting to this as if it's a consumer product? An office with 75 workers isn't fighting with Comcast about data caps or calling the 800 number for tier 1 customer support reading off a script.

Oct 27, 2020
And what do they mean when they say you can scale up processing power? I have some FPGA low-level sim jobs where I'd be very interested in that.
From the Microsoft 'blog post: "Cloud PCs can be configured with a single CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage at the low-end, all the way up to eight CPUs, 32GB of RAM, and 512GB of storage. Microsoft is offering 12 different configurations for both Windows 365 Business and Enterprise, and businesses will be able to scale processing power so there will be lots of options to choose from."

I'm similarly intrigued although even just a 4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM instance would scratch the itch here of needing Windows around for certain use cases and being able to restore within minutes would be very reassuring. It's gotten to the point where the ransomware actors are delaying their encryption cycle to get inside your recovery point objective. This would mitigate that.

TRENDING THREADS