News Microsoft Announces Xbox Series S At $299: Leaked Trailer Reveals Specs

D

Deleted member 14196

512GB storage is unacceptably small.
Hook it up to an external 8 TB drive and you’re all set. I’m going to get the series X for my main television and the series s for my room

Typically I never store games on the internal storage of any Console

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Will the Big Navi launch include a sub-$200 card with RT? AMD is obviously aware of the Xbox S. Consumers wouldn't be too willing to spend $150-$200 on worse-than-console graphics.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Looks like Xbox one X in smaller size ...
But in anyways , I dont see a market for this in USA or western Europe ..

Maybe in China , Asia , Africa , Eastern Europe , and the Middle east.. because people there are poor.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hook it up to an external 8 TB drive and you’re all set. I’m going to get the series X for my main television and the series s for my room

Wont be a good idea ... new games will take advantage of NVME drives for loading while gaming .. HDD wont do ..

He needs to use SSD external Drive.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Will the Big Navi launch include a sub-$200 card with RT? AMD is obviously aware of the Xbox S. Consumers wouldn't be too willing to spend $150-$200 on worse-than-console graphics.

It will be $299 ... Xbox does not profit from consoles sales. so expect the cost of the card will be $200 and will be sold for $299

Nope. It’s already been said that to run some/all Series X games they need to be on internal SSD or external proprietary SSD.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe in China , Asia , Africa , Eastern Europe , and the Middle east.. because people there are poor.

Or for college students who don't have 4K TV or monitor in their room, or for people who don't care the difference between 1440P and 2160P (there are a lot of those people even in rich countries), or for less affluent people in rich countries, there are a lot of those too. OR, it's for the car...

Reactions: artk2219

I’m put off by the lack of storage. Apart from that I might have considered it as a 2nd XBox to live with my PC setup. If the wife wants the TV in the living room this would be quite handy when I want to play with mates on XBox. At the moment the plan is to move the One X in with my pc once the Series X releases. I do see a market for this.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Or for college students who don't have 4K TV or monitor in their room, or for people who don't care the difference between 1440P and 2160P (there are a lot of those people even in rich countries), or for less affluent people in rich countries, there are a lot of those too. OR, it's for the car...

not really , there is a problem with this console , it is the 512 nvme SSD .. compared to its bigger brother with 1TB Nvme thats alone $70 difference for nvme drive ..

so this console is actually $370 .. so saving just $130 is not a huge save anymore .. and looking at the size of the console I dont think it can reach more than 6 Tflops , which is not good with raytracing turned on even on FHD gaming.

D

Deleted member 14196

Nope. It’s already been said that to run some/all Series X games they need to be on internal SSD or external proprietary SSD.
guess I will get an external SSD then as well. 1/2 TB isn't as bad as you make it sound. This is a console after all. It's not an issue at all--the costs that is, because I don't game on PC, I have tons of money for new consoles when they get released.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
guess I will get an external SSD then as well. 1/2 TB isn't as bad as you make it sound. This is a console after all. It's not an issue at all, the costs, because I don't game on PC, I have tons of money for new consoles when they get released.
If you have tons of money then get the bigger one with 1tb NVME AND 8K gaming AND double the speed .instead of losing $100 on external SSD ...

D

Deleted member 14196

Edited. Not worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
ridiculous statements from you as usual. why do you comment on stuff you clearly know nothing of? All you do is badmouth and throw out your uneducated guesses. So you can look at THE SIZE OF A BOX and predict it's TFLOPs performance??? Bollocks.

Not only the size of the Box , the price of the box as well ...

The size of the box gives a good idea about its thermals ,and the price of the box gives a good idea about the performance of the chip inside.

This console will be around 6 Tflops .

and next time you reply mind your language.

guess I will get an external SSD then as well. 1/2 TB isn't as bad as you make it sound. This is a console after all. It's not an issue at all--the costs that is, because I don't game on PC, I have tons of money for new consoles when they get released.
It has to be a proprietary SSD to get all Series X features/performance from what I’ve read. Who knows what these will cost. I’m not a big console gamer but with sub services such as GamePass and the few games I’m interested in buying I already have well over 2TB on my OneX. Games just keep getting larger. It’s unacceptable to launch a next gen console with half the storage of the last gen that released 7 years ago.

wirefire

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
This is a "gateway" console to games as a service. Realistically this can hold 4 maybe 5 AAA titles if you are lucky and that is with the current data size and textures, if they try to add 4K or even 8K textures into the size of a game you maybe looking at 1-2 AAA titles fitting in 512GB. With that in mind it gets much closer to a rental / lease service. The XboxX platform and services will not be around forever so you are leasing time with each game. and since you can't download it and keep it with that hardware then when the services end your games are gone (like a lease). My NES collection will work for 100 years or more (except the batteries / capacitors in the NES). these games all come with an expiration date. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but people need to understand what they are buying.

If you have 1Gbps internet... this may not be too bad. if you are still in the 25-50Mbps. I am sorry this is 100% not practical. every time you will want to change games down the road it will be a wait of hours. They should make it so the library can be stored in an HDD and when you want to play a game it needs to be transferred to the SSD. Kind of like how a hybrid drive should have worked but couldn't because the SSD part was always too small.

I personally think 1TP is too small. my main PS4 has a 4TB drive in it. and I am not an avid / hardcore player. Just everything I load is massive outside of Atari classic collection Volume 1 and 2. The games won't get smaller. I would expect to see a game get close to the 400-500GB size by the end of the XboxX's lifecycle.

Interesting question. Its a win win for AMD in either case. The next generation of AMD desktop APU's coming in 2021 should also have a little better than Xbox like performance which will become the hard choice.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
and looking at the size of the console I dont think it can reach more than 6 Tflops , which is not good with raytracing turned on even on FHD gaming.
TFLOPS do not correspond directly to gaming performance. For example, 1 RDNA1 TFLOPS is equal to about 1.4 Vega TFLOPS in games. The TFLOPS figure itself also refers to peak shader performance, not ray tracing performance. Besides, we know very little about what AMD's ray tracing performance will be like, but from the information we have the architecture looks very different from Nvidia's. It seems to be intended to have virtually 0 impact on performance, with more of a hard limit as to what the hardware is capable of.

Last edited:

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is a "gateway" console to games as a service. Realistically this can hold 4 maybe 5 AAA titles if you are lucky and that is with the current data size and textures, if they try to add 4K or even 8K textures into the size of a game you maybe looking at 1-2 AAA titles fitting in 512GB. With that in mind it gets much closer to a rental / lease service. The XboxX platform and services will not be around forever so you are leasing time with each game. and since you can't download it and keep it with that hardware then when the services end your games are gone (like a lease). My NES collection will work for 100 years or more (except the batteries / capacitors in the NES). these games all come with an expiration date. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but people need to understand what they are buying.

If you have 1Gbps internet... this may not be too bad. if you are still in the 25-50Mbps. I am sorry this is 100% not practical. every time you will want to change games down the road it will be a wait of hours. They should make it so the library can be stored in an HDD and when you want to play a game it needs to be transferred to the SSD. Kind of like how a hybrid drive should have worked but couldn't because the SSD part was always too small.

I personally think 1TP is too small. my main PS4 has a 4TB drive in it. and I am not an avid / hardcore player. Just everything I load is massive outside of Atari classic collection Volume 1 and 2. The games won't get smaller. I would expect to see a game get close to the 400-500GB size by the end of the XboxX's lifecycle.

I just notice the S does not appear to have a slot for taking disc...

This is a "gateway" console to games as a service. Realistically this can hold 4 maybe 5 AAA titles if you are lucky and that is with the current data size and textures, if they try to add 4K or even 8K textures into the size of a game you maybe looking at 1-2 AAA titles fitting in 512GB.
We don't know that, with the compression/direct io stuff games might be much smaller in the future, it is a bit of a gamble if you just have to have your top 10 games on disk at all times but it might also not be quite as bad as you think.
Also this is going to be the 1080 or max 1440 console, unless they pack the 4/8k textures with all the games just because f* you it should be ok for a somewhat limited but not terrible experience.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
D

Deleted member 14196

I just notice the S does not appear to have a slot for taking disc...
you are correct. it's not going to, and frankly I am super happy about it. I need all digital library so i can go anywhere, log in download and play where i left off, or to any other console in the house. i hate the discs now. once i buy it on MS Store, it's downloadable under my credentials anywhere at any time, always. And it auto saves your game data to the cloud. super convenient when you have several of them throughout the house.

my kid used to buy discs too but is seeing the light of all digital. Don't go digital with Nintendo though, that would be a HUGE mistake as they have no infrastructure and your digital licenses are for one machine only, break it and buy them all again... LAME

hannibal

Distinguished

most likely not so cheap versions... Apus Are for that gategory. Maybe some $300 very low end version...
And ofcourse than $300 gpu is much worse than console... you need amd middle or upper middle range gpu for that speed. Most likely the $700 version.

TRENDING THREADS