Question Microsoft Bitlocker and TPM

Nov 28, 2020
I'm planning to buy a HP Envy 15-ep0813 computer, but I've spent hours trying to understand if that has TPM-like support so that I don't need to enter a passowrd prelogon, which for me is a must. I sadly cannot get hold of the HP support either, so turning to this forum instead.

It has the Intel® Core™ i7-10750H-processor, but cannot see if it has the necessary technology for the TPM-like-function (as it does not seem to have a physical TPM module). https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Anyone have experience on how this works in practise?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
tpm is a slot on the motherboard and has nothing to do with the cpu but rather the UEFI bios. if it has the module then it is capable of using it.

as noted above though, win 10 home does not have it built in. you'll need pro or education version to use it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can do bitlocker without a tpm chip. i use it on one machine and have the key saved to a usb drive. i plug it in when i need it and take it with me when i am done. much safer than tpm. in case you missed it, there have been multiple vulnerabilities where people were able to steal your key from the tpm. they are still pretty safe but a machine with multiple people using it leaves the ability to steal your key!!

Nov 28, 2020
Ok, that might be an idea, I'm just worried the laptop may be stolen with the USB-drive in it as I will be top lazy to remove it when I'm not using it. In this case a TPM-chip would be better as I think they are secure enough.

If someone knows if the SGX or similar could be used to TPM-functionality, please chime in.