Microsoft Board Gives ''Underpaid'' Ballmer a 2% Raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]that_aznpride101[/nom]a lot of ppl could certainly use some of that $, esp in this tough economy.[/citation]
Why don't they go beg to Apple for some cash then, $76 billion in the bank and a laughable charity policy.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]at least this isn't a Stevie 1 buck salary for tax evasion.....[/citation]
How's that? Taxes are on a percentage of pay. So are you saying that being paid well is ripping you off and being paid very little is also ripping you off? Sounds like simple envy to me.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]How's that? Taxes are on a percentage of pay. So are you saying that being paid well is ripping you off and being paid very little is also ripping you off? Sounds like simple envy to me.[/citation]
No, he's saying that Job's 1$ salary is ripping the government off and, by extension, american citizens.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]crewton[/nom]$1mil salary = 35% tax$1mil stock = 15% taxeasy way to take home 200k more on the same money.[/citation]
I would spend more time trying to get a job where I could choose or be given stock compensation, than spend time criticizing those who have one; But that's just me...

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Well this is what I think of Steve...

suckonthatsteve.jpg

At least there is some upside to owning Micor$haft shares.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
These kind of bonuses I don't mind. Its when CEOs leave a company after making decisions which cause the company to tank and then get awarded with 100 Mil bonus to leave. Its also good to see that some CEOs actually refuse some bonuses.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Redmond puts the average salary of Ballmer's peers at $15.8 million while Ballmer's compensation, had he received the maximum possible bonuses, would only amount to just under $2.05 million.

So Steve ballmer is making 13.6 million LESS than his peers at other companies? I have to say his pay seems much more inline with reality when all of these other CEO's are getting way overpaid to stretch pennies by laying off workers. Microsoft is scoring points with me on this one.

I wonder if there are as many people in the world as much as his salary.
Sounds like the budget of a country with the incentive as foreign lending.... unbelievable.
Whatever happened to one of the greatest sins being greed? or sloth? and these Corps really act like saint peter.....
Payments for achievements or salaries at the top levels are more than some few generations of lifetime pay aggregated by the same people working for the same company way down in the rungs....

Even if he was to eat 5 times a day at the choicest of places, stay in a hep hotel with room service etc etc and all the lavish things, even if he ate in new gold plate every meal, even if he flew from his door step to work every time he left his home/room, even if he and his family had a grand vacation every year, he'd still be left over with a hell of a lot of dough. Doesn't the world think anymore? You can eat only as much as you can digest, the rest is waste.....
What an awful display of useless wealth in front of half a world full of undernourished kids and home less people.

G

Yes, a lot of people could use that money in response to an earlier post. So redistibution of wealth/class warfare is the way to go. If those people were the CEO of Microsoft they would get that money. Balmer gets that because he is the CEO of microsoft. Other peoples needs/wants are irrelevant. Can't believe the stupid comments on articles like this. It's called the american dream and CEO's of multi-billion dollar corporations deserve this compensation. "a lot of people could use that money, esp in this tough economy". What on earth does that have anything to do with this article. Compared with wall street execs gettting $100M bonuses for selling toxic mortgages you don't lump these people all in the same group. A lot of people could use a lot of things, namely common sense comes to mind. And undernourished kids and homeless, boo hoo. Being paid a total of 1.38 million to run a company with revenues of $40Billion is not being overpaid and what other people do or do not need is irrelevant. Why don't you go make 1.38 million and give all but the $40-$50K you need to live on for a year away. Quit being so damn ignorant, your just player haters and whiners

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Motaba1[/nom]Yes, a lot of people could use that money in response to an earlier post. So redistibution of wealth/class warfare is the way to go. If those people were the CEO of Microsoft they would get that money. Balmer gets that because he is the CEO of microsoft. Other peoples needs/wants are irrelevant. Can't believe the stupid comments on articles like this. It's called the american dream and CEO's of multi-billion dollar corporations deserve this compensation. "a lot of people could use that money, esp in this tough economy". What on earth does that have anything to do with this article. Compared with wall street execs gettting $100M bonuses for selling toxic mortgages you don't lump these people all in the same group. A lot of people could use a lot of things, namely common sense comes to mind. And undernourished kids and homeless, boo hoo. Being paid a total of 1.38 million to run a company with revenues of $40Billion is not being overpaid and what other people do or do not need is irrelevant. Why don't you go make 1.38 million and give all but the $40-$50K you need to live on for a year away. Quit being so damn ignorant, your just player haters and whiners[/citation]

It's great how people like you actually believe what people who make 1m+ a year tell you about what you should believe. The American Dream however is about how everyone has an equal chance at success. The average person these days does not have an equal chance at obtaining these positions. They are not obtained through innovation or hard work, but through connections and manipulation. These corporate figureheads make a fortune regardless of their failures, but the average person can still lose their job at the drop of a hat no matter how hard they strive for the top. They could care less about the opportunities low level workers get, and would likely eliminate anyone who actually posed a threat to their position. They buy out competition or use the patent system and high paid lawyers to take them out completely. They also evade as many taxes as possible because they can afford the best people to do it, pulling an unfair advantage over smaller businesses and startups that have to pay in full. Neither you nor I would ever have a chance at this level of success. This is not the American Dream.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Why don't they go beg to Apple for some cash then, $76 billion in the bank and a laughable charity policy.[/citation]

It's really criminal to make money and put it in the bank! How immoral of Apple! What bastards!!

Go move to Soviet Russia (wait, they became like us)... :)

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
If the Microsoft board had been fulfilling its duty to shareholders, Ballmer would have been rightfully fired a long time ago for the company's disastrous mobile push. For a company with the name recognition, deep pockets, gigantic R&D budget, marketing muscle and employee talent of Microsoft to have failed to deliver a cohesive mobile strategy and winning products is nothing short of breathtaking. And Ballmer deserves the lion's share of blame for this screw-up.

First, he arrogantly (and shortsightedly) posited that Microsoft could follow the passive desktop OS model of selling Windows Mobile licenses and sit back counting its money while hardware manufacturers dealt with the headaches and low margins of manufacturing devices. Then, when that strategy proved unavailing, he relented (but without admitting his lack of vision) and engaged in a de facto acquisition of Nokia which seems unlikely to dethrone Android and iOS from their respective perches.

Status
Not open for further replies.