Microsoft Boasts 2 Million Xbox Ones Sold Since Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazeee

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

xD Good Point. Also many of these console gamers also (obviously) own a computer/laptop that is no doubt $500+, So instead of buying a laptop/console combo, just get a PC. More power in both ends.

Haha good one.

Yes PC building is a bit more expensive but lets look at it this way. Even today a HD7970, which is now 2 years old, can play most every game at 1080p maxed out short of Crysis 3. That alone proves that I could have built my system for $1500 2 years ago and still play all modern games with no issue, and probably will be able to go on another 2 years before it needs to be upgraded.

Of course I am going to get a R9 290 or R9 290X when the after market ones hit but still its funny how consolers portray PCs.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
New Xbox One update comes out. Forced to update. Won't let you boot your XBone until you pay for the new forced features. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) if they actually did that... lol

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
They boast about how many they sold...how about telling us how many were returned? And I just love, love, LOVE how everyone and their mothers say building a gaming PC is too expensive. Its NOT people. 600$ can eeeeeasily get you a gaming rig that can play most games at great settings. You don't have to spend between $1,000-$2,000 to have a gaming PC. Perfect example...the Steam machines from Valve.

Do you have a link for those numbers? And are they official numbers or estimates?

I hope the XB1 wins mainly due to the fact that aside from its x86 architecture it is also using a Windows 8 kernel which means games will be much easier to optimize between it and PC. The PS4 on the other hand is using its own proprietary OS and kernel meaning coding between it and PC is still more difficult for devs.

So pretty much any PS4 exclusive will probably not come to PC while most XB1 exclusives could easily be ported.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm glad to see that both "next gen" console have had a great start out of the gate, saleswise. A one-sided fight would've meant a long wait for price drops. Also, I'm looking forward to the coming months, when there are actually more games worth playing. I'm a PC gamer, but I really want to try Forza 5, and the next Uncharted game that comes out. Luckily, wifey plays PC and consoles so all I have to do is wait for the prices to come down. I've long been spoiled by Steam sales, so I know it'll be a long wait.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
$500 + $60 per year=$980 over 8 years.
$700 for i5, 7870/r9 270, leaves $280 for a future graphics card, the CPU will sitll probably be fine. Maybe a little more, but who likes to support pay-per-month?

Zachasaurs

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
i agree with mike above that pc is better in the long run for upgrade-ability and also its a pc so you can do work and presentations and youtube among other things.

rufus_ct

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

I kinda follow your logic, but I think you are not being realistic about the progress technology makes within 8 years.
Let's say you did what you suggest 7 years ago. Back in 2006, CPUs were way more expensive, but you could get a Pentium D950 for about 250$ since the first Core CPUs had just released. Also you could get a GeForce 7900 GT for about 300$. It came with a whopping 256 MB of VideoRAM. That is already 550 $, but let us be generous and say you can get all the remaining components (HDD, RAM, Mainboard, Optical Drive, Case, PSU etc.) for 150 $ (All those components were significantly more pricy back then.)
So, after 4 years you buy a new graphics card for 280 $, as per your suggestion. In the year 2010, you could have gotten a GeForce 560 Ti for around that price.
Now, you have a 7 year old Processor with a cheap mainboard that only supports up to PCI Express 1.1 and DDR2 RAM with a GeForce 560 Ti. You will also have maybe 2GB of RAM (feeling generous). And you are saying that using this for gaming is fine for another year? You can play all the games that release for PS3 nowadays? (PS3 released November 11th, 2006, slightly more than 7 years ago.)

I get the argument that PCs can be more easily kept up-to-date, but lets be realistic here: To keep it even remotely up-to-date during the lifetime of a console generation, you will have to spend more many than you are suggesting.

So, the only way your suggestion works, is if technological progress will slow down SIGNIFICANTLY in the game industry and pc market in the next 8 years compared to the previous 8 years. Even if it would slow down, I cannot believe that it will slow down as much as necessary to make your way work.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Just create a partition on the Steam box for $499. Install windows on one partition and SteamOS on the other. Voila...Gaming PC for $500. I'd up the vid card a bit (another $100-150 in the gpu) but other than that it's a great cheap PC without the windows lic cost (for some this is already ZERO cost...LOL) if you already have Win7/XP etc. This PC does far more than a console also ;) Now that android runs on x86 I'm wondering how easy it is to tri-boot so you get win/steamos/android? That's a lot of apps/games to be able to access vs. a xbox1/ps4 with 25 games or less so far?

I can't wait to hear Q1 console sales numbers. Both so far have sold 1mil in a day, and took 18/20 more days each to sell their 2nd mil. I'm wondering if the 3rd million will take over 4 weeks for each and get worse from there. Much worse than 4weeks/mil and you'll have trouble hitting 10mil in the next 12 months. If you start heading to 8 to 12 weeks per million in Q1 we end up at 7-8mil total for each by next xmas (a total failure IMHO, just not as bad as wiiu, which is 60% or so off their original goals, haven't hit 5mil yet).

Maga Laan

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Sony sold slightly more in less markets. Also PS seems to be sold out in many stores, whereas Xbones are in full supply. So many MS numbers are sold to vendors not end-users. Sony has another big advantage, it postponed the sales in the home market Japan and Asia. So strong PS sales are likely to continue for some time to come, while Xbone sales may become weaker as hardcore fans needs are filled.

We will see. First sales are not very reliable as company try to exaggerate the numbers. But simply judging on the base of commentaries I expect Sony to take a leap. They simply have the better offer if it comes to games. MS strategy to go for a multimedia machines is nearly a role reversal, that did not benefit Sony earlier very much. MS now really has to prove the value of Kinect and also take away spyware threat. I doubt if people are going to pay $100 more for a device that eavesdrops and views you all the time and has a internet connection to send to the NSA. Even more as MS turns out to be the NSA oldest partner. Best would be to completely do away with Kinect in a new cheaper console, and I would not be surprised if they are contemplating this. Though it would anger gamemakers that used the technology and early adopters.

The Steambox PC still is an open question. Prices are what will be important. If it brings down the price of a gaming PC to a midrange PC, it would be a very attractive offer. Even more if they make it easy to installer another OS like Windows or Ubuntu. Also it should not be to noisy for the living room. Some vendors are already creating devices. It would be great if Nvidia would create special products as AMD took the consoles. That would make a good Linux machine to as proprietary Nvidia-drivers are still better. I think a dual boot Steambox PC next to a Chromebook, a Nexus 10 tablet and a Nexus 5 smartphone would handsomely cover my needs, without costing me a bundle. As we get more devices, I am shifting my money from the PC and notebook to mobile solutions. But I do not want to spend much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.