Microsoft Building New Version of Kinect For Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Whilst I think it's great to see M$ supporting gaming on the PC, I just don't think this will sell. Add-on controllers are more at home on consoles. PC gaming is more of a personal rather than group effort...

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
LAN parties of the future?

Bill-Gates-attends-Onitsuka-Tiger-Presents-John-Legend-and-The-_002044748--300x300.jpg

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]jay_l_a[/nom]Whilst I think it's great to see M$ supporting gaming on the PC, I just don't think this will sell. Add-on controllers are more at home on consoles. PC gaming is more of a personal rather than group effort...[/citation]

That's right. I'd rather get a better GPU, an SSD or a gaming keyboard than the Kinect set.

G

On the other hand, I would love to see a warrior tanking with a Kinect in WoW.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Good, this coupled with mobile devices built in sensor and tons of content could really help Windows to capture even more market.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
There are a lot of people using kinects to develop new motion/gesture tracking algorithms. The biggest drawback I found to the existing unit was it's inablity to work up close. Farther away it's low resolution prevents you from distinguising small features like fingers. Up close you will be able to use finger gestures to add another level of input.

It's a really cool device... once the pc version comes out you're going to start seeing things like kiosks where you control input with natural gestures. It could also be a nice alterntaive to touchscreens full of fingerprints if it can accurately locate what you're pointing at.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this isn't just about gaming anymore guys. this is about an interactive UI. 50 cm? that's how far i sit away from my monitor, now imagine me controlling my desktop with one hand only....

.....=D

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I don't think this will be for gaming at all.. more so, interacting with your PC.. which is awesome and I can't wait to see what they come up with. Especially if 3D continues to adapt with it. maybe this is the start of real holograms...... :)

Who needs a mouse when you can interact via finger gestures.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I have no issue with this with regards to PC gaming as PC games have been cut and held back for the console market for years and have had very little benefit from console successes. There are so many titles out there that are console exclusive. It's about time the PC got access to these titles as more can only be better all round.

Then there is the benefit of the features other than gaming that this will bring to the PC market. My personal PC is not limited to only the desktop but is hooked up to my main TV and I would love to utilize the same options and features that Xbox360 owners have been able to.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jay_l_a[/nom]Whilst I think it's great to see M$ supporting gaming on the PC, I just don't think this will sell. Add-on controllers are more at home on consoles. PC gaming is more of a personal rather than group effort...[/citation]

I'd probably buy one. I have zero interest in one for my 360, but I would buy one for my pc.

I sit about 70cm-80cm from my pc, would be perfect.

G

Finger gestures eh?? Well I guess that would alleviate the amount of cursing I do at the computer.

wererat

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have to disagree with jay_l_a. Console add-on controllers are, in my experience, more likely to be flash-in-the-pan gimmicks. PC add-on controllers are pretty popular; just look at the expensive flight- and race-sim gear out there!

G

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]this isn't just about gaming anymore guys. this is about an interactive UI. 50 cm? that's how far i sit away from my monitor, now imagine me controlling my desktop with one hand only.........=D[/citation]
I can only assume you mean your desktop will bob up and down when you beat it.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jdenova007[/nom]I don't think this will be for gaming at all.. more so, interacting with your PC.. which is awesome and I can't wait to see what they come up with. Especially if 3D continues to adapt with it. maybe this is the start of real holograms...... Who needs a mouse when you can interact via finger gestures.[/citation]
I have a finger gesture for windows . . .

G

I'd like to see a web-browser allow you to place the kinect near you and you can turn any screen into a touch screen.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Not interested in a software company pushing hardware. M$ should be researching/developing the software algorythms to recognize motion, maximizing the use of existing hardware (There are some great PC indie projects out there that have kinect/Move like capability using a regular $15 webcam).
I'm pretty sure a 3 Ghz quad core computer can handle the workload of the required computations; instead of offloading onto yet another piece of $100 hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.