News Microsoft Buys Zenimax Media, Bethesda Softworks, for $7.5 Billion

They really are trying to be the Netflix of gaming. I'm assuming most of these titles will be on PC as well, which I'm happy about. Simply because they want to sell you the monthly service fee, and not try to make money off of console hardware.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Zenimax has a lot of offices in Maryland. Microsoft may help the employees. Everyone I know who works for Zenimax routinely does 60+ hour weeks. I hope Microsoft fixes each studio's culture of overworking. I'd like to see some friends more often.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
This is good news for XBox Game Pass subscribers. That means that you will have access to those titles for $9.99/mo. I am not sure how this will play out for future development, as previous publishing deals through Microsoft have been wrought with problems (Mechwarrior, Vanguard, Asheron's Call 2).

I think it is Steam and GOG that have the most to fear from this acquisition. I would not be surprised if Microsoft prevented those ecosystems from selling Bethesda products, similar to what EA has done with its AAA launches. Only time will tell, but Microsoft has a vested interest in ensuring the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game is a big hit if it wants to maintain its dominion.

This is good news for XBox Game Pass subscribers. That means that you will have access to those titles for $9.99/mo. I am not sure how this will play out for future development, as previous publishing deals through Microsoft have been wrought with problems (Mechwarrior, Vanguard, Asheron's Call 2).

I think it is Steam and GOG that have the most to fear from this acquisition. I would not be surprised if Microsoft prevented those ecosystems from selling Bethesda products, similar to what EA has done with its AAA launches. Only time will tell, but Microsoft has a vested interest in ensuring the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game is a big hit if it wants to maintain its dominion.
not an issue.

MS funded the port of PS02.
they had it exclusive on their thign for a few months before lettign steam have it too.

they also publish many games that are on steam from day 1 (like their lfight sim games)

the "worry" with steam would be more from its being added for XBox live sub system....so u can play em w/o goign through steam if u have a sub for Gamepass (which many ppl might find better as u can play may games for a small fee rather and renting instead of owning)

Hey, maybe Bethesda can afford to hire a beta tester now.

That sucks!!!
Just look what M$ did to MechWarrior.
I think MechWarrior's problems at least in part come down to licensing issues, since a number of different companies hold the rights to various aspects of BatleTech. Even the designs for many of the early Mechs were originally based on art licensed from different anime series. I believe the rights to develop games in the MechWarrior franchise was acquired by Piranha Games almost a decade ago, and that's whose been responsible for MechWarrior Online and MechWarrior 5. The BattleTech game from a few years back was from a different company. All of those games were PC releases, with none of them releasing on consoles, which again, might come down to licensing issues of some sort.

Antias

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014
I just hope they keep there stupid money grabbing fingers out of the development pie... I adore (and play) Zenimax and Bethesda's games and worry they'll be "simplified (even further) for consoles" too much...
The Fallout and Elder Scrolls series are my go-to games when i'm so often dissapointed with other newer releases.
Elder Scrolls Online is an almost nightly game for me...

hannibal

Distinguished
Ofcourse They will make games simpler. Less bugs, more profil for sellin dlls, when original game is smaller and have less content.
It is good and bad. If you like Large complex games, it is bad. If you like easy and streamlined games it is good.