Microsoft Ceases Production Of The Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when you think about it, Sony made the PS2 for 12 years, and they stopped production of the PS3 last year after 9 years. So it's not out of the norm of console production life that MS made the 360 for 10 years.

artk2219

Distinguished
I will say that is one of the very nice things about consoles, the long support life. Hell people were making atari 2600's from 1977 until like 1991 or 92. You can still find and buy tons of new famicom clones that will play original games. You can also buy new Genesis and SNES based system including games for them since sega and nintendo had very generous licensing agreements for those systems. Really 9 and 10 years would be considered a bit short for support if you go by past historical trends. Speaking of all this reminds me i need to buy an NES or clone, thanks guys!

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
"most notably the ever-popular Halo 2"

Not only is this a little incorrect, but Halo 2 is literally the only Halo game besides 5 NOT released for the Xbox 360 at any point.

"most notably the ever-popular Halo 2"

Not only is this a little incorrect, but Halo 2 is literally the only Halo game besides 5 NOT released for the Xbox 360 at any point.

It's accurate as written. If you bought a 360 at release, you'd be playing Halo 2 on it with the compatibility patch until 3 released.

alextheblue

Distinguished
someone had to make replacements till emulation catches up and these things die so often.
Actually anything with Jasper or later is pretty solid. I've even had good luck with Falcon and Opus as long as you don't let the heatsinks plug up with dust and give them room to breath. I've got a functional Opus unit (my old Xenon unit was upgraded to this for repair) that I still use from time to time. No HDMI output - hooked up via VGA!

Anyway I hope devs and publishers continue to work with MS to enable backwards compatibility for more titles. Many publishers would rather sell you new titles, of course.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Of corse they keep producing them - After all most of the time the console players are screwed of their library when their console dies and only the "newer" is available. This is just one reason why my ps4 & xbo is just serving as a good dust collectors atm

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
In addition, subscribers will still receive free games through the Games With Gold program...

*Waits patiently for someone to point out that when you pay a subscription fee to receive "free" games ... they're not free.*

No, it's not accurate as written. The sentence is "It continued the Halo franchise with multiple installments, most notably the ever-popular Halo 2, and the series continued to the Xbox One with Halo 5: Guardians." Yes, the 360 continued the Halo franchise with multiple installments ( 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 ). However, 2 launched on the original Xbox. How can you say the 360 continued the franchise with 2 when it was already continued with 2 before the 360 even launched? You've also juxtaposed Halo2 and the 360 with Halo 5 and the XB1. Since 5 was originally released on the XB1, this implies 2 was released first on the 360, which is false. This is confusing and makes the article writer sound like they don't know what they're talking about. And while 2 was quite popular, particularly multi-player, Reach surpassed it in just about every way.

alextheblue

Distinguished
In addition, subscribers will still receive free games through the Games With Gold program...

*Waits patiently for someone to point out that when you pay a subscription fee to receive "free" games ... they're not free.*

You're not paying a subscription to get these games. You're paying to play on XBL servers. The free games are just that, free games thrown in as a bonus. If you stop paying for XBL Gold... you keep the games. They're yours, they're attached to your account and not the subscription or the individual console.

It would be different if they had two tiers of XBL Gold and both let you play online but the more expensive tier adds the monthly games.

Status
Not open for further replies.